5 Steps to Your 5-Star Job Ad
Every recruiter writes their job ads differently, but they all have the same goals in mind. They want to create a job ad that is optimized for search, stands out from the rest, and sells prospects on the position. And that’s exactly what this article will show you how to do. To get more details on this subject as well as detailed examples, pro tips, insights, and more, sign up for our Job Ad Webinar and we’ll walk you through it – live.
Before we start, remember to think about search engine optimization (SEO) at every step.
- Job Titles
- Must be industry standard – if you want to see what both Monster and Google reference, check out the SOC 2010 List
- No abbreviations, call to action, special characters or punctuation, or non-standard capitalization, job ID, etc.
- The entire job ad should be around 400 words
- Keyword density is an outdated strategy
- Use synonyms for your job title and skills for better exposure
- Main Keyword Placements: 1 in the title, 1 in the first paragraph, 1-2 or more times in the job ad
5 Steps to Your 5-Star Job Ad
Click on each step below to learn how you can take your job ad to the next level.
Introduce candidates to your company with a Marketing Summary.
- Introduce your company with a pitch
- Describe what your company does and stands for – and give a glimpse inside
- State your value proposition
- Get creative, but be realistic
- Do not overpromise or exaggerate
Are you fueled by challenges? Enjoy working in an environment surrounded by innovation? Excited about promoting eco-friendly products that can transform the future? Oh, and are you a Marketing Manager looking to be on the frontlines of this change? If yes, then Green Company is looking for you. Our mission goes beyond the bottom line. We are dedicated to improving the quality of life in a substantial, sustainable way – on a global scale. If you want to play a vital role in making it all happen, read on.
Clearly outline the position’s responsibilities.
- List the main responsibilities and anything unique to this job
- Make it simple and to the point
- Replace internal jargon with industry terms
- Don’t go overboard listing mundane, tasks that are to be expected (general office duties)
- Include relevant keywords
- Manage the implementation of global campaigns to put our products and technology into the right hands.
- Measure the impact of your team’s hard work by tracking results and refining strategy to increase performance.
- Seek out new marketing opportunities that fit with the brand and maximize all opportunities for growth.
- Evaluate potential high-growth segments and devise strategies to enter and/or increase penetration
- Create digital marketing plans for product launches and events.
- Act as the key authority and point of contact for project development concepts, business strategy and business models.
- Oversee content management, marketing automation, design, social and paid media channels.
- Work closely with sales, marketing, product, and others on messaging and positioning.
- Drive Lead Gen goals by identifying opportunities and coordinating resources
Create a list of requirements and preferences.
- Describe your ideal candidate to a tee
- Only add the type of requirements you’d see on a resume
- Separate requirements and preferences:
- Requirements are must-haves and candidates can’t get the job without them.
- Preferences are a wish list of qualifications that aren’t required for consideration but will give candidates star quality.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or related discipline
- 7+ years of dedicated digital marketing experience at an agency or corporation
- Deep understanding of entire digital marketing mix and tactics and how to align with business growth targets and marketing automation processes
- Experienced in Adobe Experience Manager, Marketo and SFDC or similar tools
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Highly motivated team player with the ability to influence and drive change
- Experience with WordPress CMS and basic HTML
- Familiarity with Constant Contact and CRM’s such as Salesforce
- Proven experience leading B2C growth marketing campaigns and overall strategy
- Some experience working within the environmental industry
Tell candidates what’s in it for them with a benefits section.
- Include benefits in its own section
- Add selling points: What sets you apart, accolades and awards
- Think holistically about all the benefits you offer, like flex schedules, work from home opportunities, company cars, phones & tablets, training, professional development, tuition reimbursement, Collaborative/diverse work environment, etc.
- Consider non-traditional benefits like T-passes or commute reimbursement, on-site childcare, casual Fridays, bring-your-dog-to-work day, etc.
We strive to provide employees with the right balance between work and family. We offer comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- 401(k) with up to 6% matching
- Flexible schedules with option to work remotely 50% of the time
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Community outreach events
- Professional development and training
- Company discounts on eco-friendly products, cell phones, computers, entertainment and more.
Invite candidates to apply with a call to action.
- Provide candidates with one-click access to apply or start the application process.
- Adjust your call to action for urgency:
- Low Urgency:
If this opportunity sounds like the right fit for you, please apply.
- Moderate Urgency:
Interested in joining our winning team? We want to hear from you. Apply today!
- High Urgency:
This role is our top priority! We are expediting the hiring process, so please apply ASAP for consideration.
- Low Urgency:
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, don’t wait APPLY TODAY!
Want a 6th Star? Stand out with Video Job Ads
For an off-the-charts job ad, you’ve got to check out Monster Studios. Recruiters are really seeing the value of video job ads. In fact:
- 80% of recruiters believe video has helped increase the VOLUME of applications1
- 78% of recruiters believe it has helped increase the QUALITY of applications1
- 65% of employers in North America plan to invest in video job descriptions in 20202
1State of Video, 2019 Video My Job; 2TalentBoard; 2019 North American Candidate Experience Research Report
Give candidates a whole new view into your company with Monster Studios. To learn more click here.