Home / Workforce Management & Planning / Getting a handle on new hire paperwork

Getting a handle on new hire paperwork

Getting a handle on new hire paperwork

After months of digging through resumes for that diamond in the rough, followed by multiple rounds of interviews, your company is now fully staffed. Your new team members start on Monday and you’re excited to get them going right away. But before you do that, you’re going to need to make sure all of their required paperwork is filled out.

Depending on the size of your organization, you or your human resources department may already have a detailed process in place. If not, the following review of new hire paperwork will help you get through it and get down to business.

New hire paperwork: federal requirements

Let’s start with the federal forms and documentation required for all U.S. workers. If your workers are independent contractors (ICs), then there won’t be as much paperwork involved. The following documentation is the bare minimum required by the federal government for ICs (you’ll also want to draft a written contract):

  • Form W-9 — This is the tax form where they provide their taxpayer identification number (typically their Social Security number).
  • Form 1099-MISC — This is the tax form you’ll file with the IRS for your ICs, to whom you’ll send a copy by January 31 of the following year.

For everyone else (i.e., new employees), federal regulations require you to complete the following new hire paperwork:

  • Form W-4 — This tax form is used to calculate an employee’s withholding for federal income taxes. Employers may not give advice on how to fill these out.
  • Form I-9 — This is the form used for verifying your new employee’s eligibility to work in the United States (whether they’re citizens, permanent residents, or have a work visa).

New hire paperwork: state and local requirements

In addition to federal requirements, you’ll have to complete additional paperwork that varies by state and locality. This includes (but isn’t limited to) the following:

  • State new hire registration — The new hire notification system allows a state child support system to collect any payments owed by your employee.
  • State unemployment tax — You’ll need to pay a tax that gets added to a fund for workers who get laid off from your company. Contact your state’s labor department for details.
  • State workers’ compensation — You also may be required to pay into a workers’ compensation fund, depending on the laws and procedures of your state.
  • State laws and local ordinances — You may need to inform your new hires about state and local employment laws and benefits, such as paid family leave or paid sick days.

Miscellaneous new hire paperwork

Most companies have an employee handbook that outlines the rules and expectations for their employees, such as the dress code and procedures for requesting time off. You should provide them with a copy of this (either hard copy or digital) and have them sign off after they’ve had a chance to read it.

Additionally, you may want (or be required by state law) to provide materials about sexual harassment, data privacy, employee theft, or other important policies. These may be conveyed in the form of online lessons or videos, so they may not involve any actual paperwork.

New hire paperwork is just the beginning, but Monster can help you with the rest

Filling out forms is a necessary evil, but it’s also very important for legal compliance and onboarding. Now that you’ve hired your dream team, how will you get the most out of them? Sign up for Monster Hiring Solutions, our free e-newsletter, and you’ll get expert insights on talent acquisition and management strategies sent directly to your in-box.

Legal Disclaimer: None of the information provided herein constitutes legal advice on behalf of Monster.