EMT job description sample
This EMT job description sample is the ideal framework for a posting that will attract the attention of the right candidates. The most effective postings maintain the structure and organization of this outline and simply revise it to include the requirements and duties specific to your open position. You can get even more ideas for crafting the ideal description by taking a look at Monster’s EMT job listings.
[Intro Paragraph] Job listings that include a short paragraph introducing prospective EMTs to your hospital or medical facility tend to get the most attention. You can take 2-3 sentences to highlight your unique culture and working environment. This is your opportunity to set your company apart from the competition and sell yourself to EMTs.
EMT Job Responsibilities:
- Operates an emergency medical vehicle.
- Lifts, carries, and transports injured, sick or incapacitated persons from residential or accident scenes to medical facilities.
- Provides emergency medical treatment to injured, sick, or incapacitated persons.
- Communicates with professional medical personnel at emergency treatment facility to obtain instructions regarding treatment and to arrange for reception of victims at medical treatment facilities.
- Obtains information from persons involved, examines victims and determines nature, extent, or magnitude of illness or injury to establish emergency medical procedures to be followed or need for additional assistance.
- Administers prescribed first-aid treatment at site of emergency or in specially equipped vehicle according to established medical protocols.
- Applies splints; administers oxygen or artificial resuscitation; treats and bandages wounds or abrasions; and performs other basic life support procedures.
- Stabilizes, immobilizes, lifts and moves victims from scene of accident or catastrophe.
- Operates a specially equipped emergency medical vehicle in an assigned geographic area to respond to accidents or catastrophes and to transport injured or ill persons to a medical facility Inspects specially equipped emergency vehicle; cleans equipment to insure its safe operation; and replenishes medical supplies, fuel, and fluids.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This is where you can include working hours and benefits specific to your department and another chance to sell potential applicants on things like overtime or special assignments. Benefits that can set you apart, like childcare reimbursements, paid leave, or tuition or continuing education credits, can go right here.
EMT Qualifications / Skills:
- Read, write, and communicate professionally and effectively with employees and managers
- Write simple correspondence or reports
- Effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees and/or managers
- Knowledge of company protocols, operational procedures, and safety policies
- Knowledge of methods and techniques for providing on-site emergency medical services
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- State driver’s license
- State EMT certification
- Certified as a CPR Instructor in Basic Life Support by the American Heart Association (must obtain within one year of employment)
- Certified as a First Aid Instructor by the American Heart Association or the National Safety Council (must obtain within one year of employment)
[Call to Action] Now that job hunters are familiar with your office and specific job requirements, you need a strong call to action so prospective EMTs know exactly how to apply. Let them know whether they should click the “apply” button at the top of this listing or submit an application, resume, and other supporting documents to your department.
Ready for your job description to go live?
Fantastic. Getting an applicant’s attention is one thing, but going out and finding the right EMT candidates yourself is another. That’s where Monster job ads come in. We offer flexible monthly plans that allow you to upgrade your job search, scale down, and cancel at any time. In addition, you’ll get access to Monster Studios, our easy-to-use app that lets you create video job descriptions. Get started here!