Assistant Store Manager
[Intro Paragraph] Begin your assistant store manager job description with a concise paragraph or list of bulleted items designed to sell your workplace to applicants. Your description should describe why your store is special: the quality of your merchandise, your dedication to customer service, or your connection to the local community. If you are part of a large retail chain, you’ll want to emphasize the large number of advancement opportunities available within parent company. If you are a small locally owned business, focus on your connection to customers and the opportunity the position offers workers to exercise their creativity.
Assistant Store Manager Job Responsibilities:
- Serves customers by training staff and purchasing and displaying products.
- Trains store staff by reviewing and revising sales training materials, delivering training sessions, reviewing job performance and coaching needs with retail store manager, and developing and implementing new product training.
- Evaluates competition by visiting competing stores to gather information about attributes, such as style, quality, presentation, and pricing of competitive merchandise.
- Purchases inventory by researching emerging products, anticipating buyer interest, negotiating volume price breaks, placing and expediting orders, and verifying receipt of orders.
- Attracts customers by originating display ideas, following display suggestions or schedules, constructing or assembling prefabricated display materials, and creating merchandise displays in windows and showcases, and on the sales floor.
- Promotes sales by demonstrating merchandise and products to customers.
- Helps customers by providing information, answering questions, obtaining merchandise requested, completing payment transactions, and preparing merchandise for delivery.
- Prepares sales and customer relations reports by analyzing and categorizing sales information, and identifying and investigating customer complaints and service suggestions.
- Maintains a safe and clean store environment by developing and publishing evacuation routes, training employees in de-escalation techniques, and determining and documenting locations of potentially dangerous materials and chemicals.
- Keeps current inventory records by checking merchandise and anticipating customer demand.
- Prepares reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information.
- Delivers quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
- Improves professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, benchmarking state-of-the-art practices, and participating in professional societies.
- Maintains clean and tidy workspace, including supervision of cleaning services.
[Work Hours & Benefits] In this section of your assistant store manager job description, you’ll want to sell the position to potential applicants just as you sold candidates on the workplace in your first paragraph. Include the size of the staff the assistant store manager will oversee.
Mention benefits, including opportunities for overtime or paid time off, management training opportunities, and employee discounts, as well as a salary range. Use a salary tool that allows you to input job title and location to determine what level of compensation retail workers are likely to expect in your city or region.
Assistant Store Manager Skills/Qualifications:
- Competitive analysis
- Management proficiency
- Creative services
- Supply management
- Customer service
- Presentation skills
- Analyzing information
- Basic safety
- Verbal communication
- Basic math skills
Education, Experience, & Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED; associate’s degree or higher in retail management a plus.
- Prior retail experience; supervisory experience a plus.
- Basic computer skills, familiarity with point-of-sale tracking technology a plus.
[Call to Action] Your assistant store manager job description should finish strong with a call to action that urges applicants to send a resume or fill out an application.
You Know How to Write an Assistant Store Manager Job Description. Now Post It for Free
You’ve crafted a job description with a complete inventory of the attributes you’re looking for in a successful assistant store manager. Now, take advantage of a free job listing from Monster to find the right fit.