[Intro Paragraph] Think of the introductory paragraph of your machinist job description as your chance to sell your company to the candidate. Take two to three sentences to explain what makes your company unique and why you’d be the right choice for your ideal machinist candidate.
Machinist Job Responsibilities:
- Operates and maintains lathe and milling machines.
- Reviews drawings, instructions, blueprints or samples to ensure accurate production.
- Takes precise measurements for cutting or shaping.
- Selects appropriate machine and settings for a given task.
- Plans proper sequence of tasks to complete the assignment.
- Monitors production, adjusting feed and other settings as necessary.
- Maintains inventory of completed products.
- Checks output for quality assurance and documents or discards defects.
- Identifies need for and performs machine maintenance and minor repairs.
- Maintains a safe and clean workstation.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
[Work Hours & Benefits] You’ll next want to include an explanation of your company’s working hours and benefits. Let job seekers know about flexible scheduling and typical work hours. Highlight perks that might appeal to machinist candidates, like employer-sponsored training and development programs, commuter benefits and childcare reimbursement.
- Excellent coordination and mechanical skills
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and safety
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in math
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and perform repetitive tasks
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school degree or equivalent
- Experience working with machine tools or mechanical assembly
- Working knowledge of safety protocols
- Apprenticeship or vocational training preferred
[Call to Action] A crucial part of the job description is the call to action, where you encourage candidates to apply and explain the steps to do so. You could have them click the “apply” button at the top of the job posting, or instruct them to email their application, resume and cover letter to your HR department.
Find the Right Machinist for Your Company Today
Crafting a thorough machinist job description is a great first step toward recruiting quality candidates. Take your search for the best machinists to the next level by posting it to Monster’s world class job board. Get started now by posting your job ad for free.