[Intro Paragraph] Use the first section of your anesthesiologist job description to sell your workplace. Are you a small practice with relatively light patient loads? Are you a teaching hospital performing cutting-edge surgeries? Perhaps your hospital or surgical center is known for its top-rated patient care or its commitment to pain management. This might also be a good place to mention local amenities, such as the vibrant city you’re located in, or the outdoor recreation opportunities afforded in your area. Whatever makes your practice or organization stand out needs to be the first thing your potential applicants see.
Anesthesiologist Job Responsibilities:
- Prepares and administers general and regional anesthetics and pain medication, adjusting as needed before, during, and after surgery and other procedures.
- Provides anesthesia maintenance and adjustment before, during, and after procedures.
- Maintains patient records.
- Orders diagnostic tests as needed.
- Works closely with surgical specialists.
- Performs venous and arterial punctures.
- Performs pre-anesthesia patient evaluation.
- Provides post-anesthesia care and evaluation.
- Provides and monitors mechanical ventilation.
- Communicate with patients, and their families and caregivers.
- Reacts appropriately to adverse reactions and complications.
- Evaluates patient histories, lab results, and surgical plans to determine an appropriate anesthesia and pain management plan.
- Monitors patient fluid, blood, and electrolyte balance, and other vital signs and critical functions during course of procedures.
- Performs tracheal intubation, airway management, and extubation.
- Monitors patients following procedures to determine when they can be safely moved from one stage of recovery to the next.
- Takes detailed medical history to determine possible allergic or negative reactions to medication.
- Supervises registered nurse anesthetists and other technical staff.
- Mentors and supervises anesthesiology interns, residents, and fellows.
[Work Hours & Benefits] In this section, you need to sell the position the way your opening paragraph sold your workplace. Using a salary tool that allows you to input job title and location, you can either provide a competitive and appropriate salary range or confidently state that the salary you’re offering is competitive, or even lucrative, for your area.
If you’re trying to attract younger doctors to an area with a scarcity of qualified anesthesiologists you might consider stating that newly certified graduates are welcome and mentioning signing bonuses, paid relocation, student loan repayment, low- or no-deductible medical benefits, and paid malpractice insurance. Other enticing benefits might include 401K, paid time off, and opportunities for continued training and professional development.
- Excellent bedside manner and to build rapport quickly.
- Ability to express complicated information in an accessible manner for patients and caregivers.
- Team leadership and management skills.
- Ability to think clearly and act quickly in stressful situations.
- Attention to detail.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Deep sense of compassion and focus on patient care.
- Physical stamina and patience.
- Conversational Spanish or other second language a plus.
Education, Experience & Licensing Requirements:
- American Board of Anesthesiology certification.
- Residency or fellowship in specialty.
- M.D. or D.O.
- License to practice medicine in state of employment.
- 2-3 years’ experience.
- Skilled in the administration techniques of anesthesia, including epidurals and ultrasound-guided anesthesia.
[Call to Action] End your anesthesiology job description with a call to action that prompts applicants to send a resume, along with a cover letter, or to take similar action to indicate their interest in the position.
Now That You Have a Top-notch Anesthesiologist Job Description, Leverage It With a Free Job Post
You’ll need more than a high salary to attract a competent, compassionate health professional specializing in anesthetics. Now that you’ve sharpened your anesthesiologist job description, grab another tool from the tray with a free job listing from Monster.