[Intro Paragraph] The most successful job postings include a short paragraph that introduces prospective teachers to your school or district. You can take two to three sentences to highlight your unique teaching culture and educational environment. This is your opportunity to set your school apart from the competition and sell yourself to teachers.
Teacher Job Responsibilities: Here’s a list of several key responsibilities of teachers. Note that it can be tailored even further if you need an elementary teacher job description, a high school teacher job description, or a description for another position in the teaching field.
- Contributes to student learning, growth, and advancement.
- Demonstrates academic competence in subject area(s), and displays an inclination for developing integrated and interdisciplinary work across the curriculum.
- Maintains a growth mindset toward student learning, teaching practice, and personal/collective professional development.
- Demonstrates a high degree of self-efficacy (agency); holds themselves accountable for learner outcomes and advocates for their students; works efficiently; and believes in their ability, the capability of their students, and themselves to succeed and excel.
- Facilitates problem-solving, with a curious mind and critical thinking skills, showing a high degree of creative application in the implementation of data-driven curriculum and practice.
- Serves as a role model and an innovative and creative learner with an insatiable thirst for knowledge, personal growth, and being on the cutting edge of instructional practice and pedagogy.
- Collaborates effectively with a variety of stakeholder groups within the organization and with external partners to increase student performance and contribute to advancing the teaching and learning craft.
- Looks beyond the walls of the classroom and demonstrates global competence and how their work will expand the impact of students’ work to their families and local and global communities.
- Invests in the learners’ well-being, health, and safety, physically, socially, and emotionally.
- Recognizes the relationship between social-emotional learning and academic performance, and aspires toward developing and teaching the whole child.
- Designs and facilitates differentiated and personalized learning goals and activities that follow a coherent sequence, are aligned to instructional goals, and engage students in high-level cognitive activity.
[Work Hours & Benefits] Here is where you can include work hours and benefits as another chance to sell potential applicants on things like overtime or year-round compensation. Benefits that can set your school apart—like continuing education credits, or tuition or childcare reimbursement—can go right here.
- Knowledge of instructional methods appropriate for students at the respective grade level.
- Desire and ability to work with students at the specified age level with diverse backgrounds and levels of ability toward accomplishing their educational goals.
- Ability to organize tasks and manage time to meet many and varied deadlines; manage small and large groups of students in a classroom environment; and communicate effectively with students, parents, school administrators and other staff, including the ability to discuss topics which may be sensitive.
- Working familiarity with assistive technologies; internet and email systems; and word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet software.
- Familiarity with computers (PC and Apple) and their use in instruction to enhance student learning.
- Working knowledge of various office and video equipment.
- Knowledge of educational software.
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in education or related field
- Recent teaching experience, coursework, or other activity in area of primary instruction
- Demonstrated knowledge of current instructional strategies appropriate for students at the specified grade level
- Previous experience teaching the age levels and subject areas of the specific teaching position
- Teaching credentials appropriate for the level of students being taught
[Call to Action] Now that job hunters are familiar with your school and specific job requirements, you need a call to action so prospective teachers know exactly how to apply. Let them know whom to contact to apply, or how and where to submit an application and other supporting documents.
Ready to Get Your Teacher Job Description Front and Center?
Getting an applicant’s attention is one thing; finding the right teaching candidates yourself is another. But that’s where we can help. Partner up with Monster today to see how you can post your next job for free.