Content Strategist Job Description
Intro Paragraph: The beginning of your job description is your first impression for job seekers. It’s where they decide if they might be a good fit for the role, so provide a quick overview of what you’re looking for, such as what the job entails and who would make a good fit.
Use this example to get started:
Join our team as a content strategist at [company name], where you will craft compelling content that aligns with our business goals. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker and well-versed in search engine optimization (SEO) principles. Collaboration is at the core of our work environment, so excellent communication skills are essential. If you’re a creative content strategist with a passion for storytelling who can adapt to evolving content requirements and uses a data-driven approach, we want to hear from you!
About Our Organization: Next in your content strategist job description, share what makes your company an exceptional place to work. Highlight your company culture by showcasing your core values, such as integrity, diversity, and inclusivity. This segment is particularly impactful for attracting Gen Z employees and Millennials since they prioritize a sustainable work-life balance and are drawn to companies that align with their interests and personal goals.
Use the following example as a jumping-off point for your company’s “about us” description:
At [company name], we’re a close-knit team fueled by innovation, collaboration, and integrity. At the heart of our culture is a belief in the value of creativity, teamwork, and making every day count. If you want to join a company where you can take on challenging and meaningful work while growing professionally and enjoying a healthy work-life balance, this is the place for you.
Content Strategist Job Responsibilities: Including a comprehensive list of the day-to-day tasks you expect candidates to complete will help them determine whether they are interested in the role and have the necessary skills and experience. Use this list of common asks to get started and edit your list to meet your needs:
- Develop and implement content strategies aligned with business objectives.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to understand business goals and target audience needs.
- Create and oversee the creation of high-quality, relevant, and engaging content.
- Ensure content aligns with brand voice, tone, and messaging guidelines.
- Establish and document content style guides, editorial standards, and best practices.
- Monitor and maintain content quality and consistency across various channels.
- Use data from audience research to understand the needs, preferences, and behaviors of target audiences.
- Optimize content for search engine optimization (SEO) and ensure discoverability.
- Develop and maintain editorial calendars to plan and schedule content production and distribution.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including marketing, design, product, and sales, to align content with overall business strategies, product launches, and other initiatives.
- Track and analyze content performance metrics using analytics tools and use this data to refine content strategy.
- Keep up to date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices.
- Manage budgets related to content creation, distribution, and promotion.
Work Hours and Benefits: Next, include information in your content strategist job description about when your content strategist will work. For example, do they need to come into the office Monday through Friday, from 9 am to 5 pm? Also, mention if it is a full- or part-time job and if the person can work from home all or some of the time, such as with a hybrid work environment..
Candidates will also want to know about the benefits and perks your company offers, such as:
- competitive salaries
- health insurance
- vision and dental coverage
- retirement plans
- flexible work environment
- casual dress code
Content Strategist Qualifications and Skills: The criteria and abilities sought when recruiting a coach may differ, but you can use this list in your content strategist job description as a starting point:
- Strong writing and editing skills with an emphasis on clarity, style, and adherence to brand guidelines.
- Ability to create engaging and compelling content across various formats and channels.
- Understanding of SEO best practices.
- Ability to plan and organize content calendars, ensuring consistent and timely content production.
- Proficiency in conducting audience research and utilizing insights to tailor content to target demographics.
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills to work effectively with cross-functional teams, subject matter experts, and stakeholders.
- Project management skills to oversee multiple content initiatives, ensuring they are delivered on time and within scope.
- Familiarity with content performance metrics and analytics tools to track and analyze the effectiveness of content strategies.
- Ability to adapt to evolving industry trends, content marketing best practices, and changes in digital platforms.
- Familiarity with content management systems (CMS), marketing automation tools, and other relevant technologies.
- Understanding of social media platforms and the ability to create content suitable for various social channels.
- Strong problem-solving skills to address challenges related to content creation, distribution, and audience engagement.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or a relevant field.
- Proven experience as a content strategist or similar position.
Call to Action: Once people read about the job you’re offering, you need to tell them what to do next. Make it clear what steps they should take with a simple call to action. For example, you might want them to “apply now” or “learn more.”
Your New Content Strategist Is Just a Job Description Away
After crafting a content strategist job description that grabs the attention of your ideal candidates and provides clear instructions on how to contact you, take your candidate search to a new level by joining Monster. Create a free job posting to gain access to millions of job seekers who are just one job description away!