Machinist job description sample
The machinist job description sample below can help you recruit candidates best suited for this role. To get the most attention from the right prospects, use this structure, but revise the specific job duties and requirements to match your company’s needs. You can also browse Monster’s machinist job listings for more ideas on what to include in your posting.
[Intro Paragraph] Think of the introductory paragraph of your job description as your chance to sell your company to the candidate. Take two to three sentences to explain what makes your company unique and why you’d be the right choice for your ideal machinist candidate.
Machinist Job Responsibilities:
- Operates and maintains lathe and milling machines.
- Reviews drawings, instructions, blueprints or samples to ensure accurate production.
- Takes precise measurements for cutting or shaping.
- Selects appropriate machine and settings for a given task.
- Plans proper sequence of tasks to complete the assignment.
- Monitors production, adjusting feed and other settings as necessary.
- Maintains inventory of completed products.
- Checks output for quality assurance and documents or discards defects.
- Identifies need for and performs machine maintenance and minor repairs.
- Maintains a safe and clean workstation.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
[Work Hours & Benefits] You’ll next want to include an explanation of your company’s working hours and benefits. Let job seekers know about flexible scheduling and typical work hours. Highlight perks that might appeal to machinist candidates, like employer-sponsored training and development programs, commuter benefits and childcare reimbursement.
- Excellent coordination and mechanical skills
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and safety
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in math
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and perform repetitive tasks
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school degree or equivalent
- Experience working with machine tools or mechanical assembly
- Working knowledge of safety protocols
- Apprenticeship or vocational training preferred
[Call to Action] A crucial part of the job description is the call to action, where you encourage candidates to apply and explain the steps to do so. You could have them click the “apply” button at the top of the job posting, or instruct them to email their application, resume and cover letter to your HR department.
Ready to post your next machinist job description?
Crafting a thorough job description is a great first step toward recruiting quality candidates. Take your search for the best machinists to the next level with Monster job ads. Our wide range of monthly plans can be customized for any size company or job search, and you’ll even get access to Monster Studios which lets you create video job descriptions at no extra cost. Get started today!