Lifeguard job description sample
This lifeguard job description sample is the perfect start to a posting that will garner you the most attention from the best candidates. Take it from the pros: just keep the structure and organization of this template and revise it to include the requirements and duties specific to your open position for the best results. You can also get even more ideas for filling out the ideal description by taking a look at Monster’s lifeguard job listings.
[Intro Paragraph] The highest performing job listings include a short paragraph introducing prospective lifeguards to your beach or facility. Take 2-3 sentences to highlight your unique culture and working environment. This is your chance to set your opportunity apart from the competition and sell yourself to potential employees.
Lifeguard Job Responsibilities:
- Supervises swimming activities at the aquatics facility and ensures that policies, guidelines, and safety procedures are followed.
- Warns swimmers of improper activities or danger and enforces pool regulations and water safety policies.
- Administers first aid in the event of injury, rescues swimmers in distress or danger of drowning, and administers CPR and/or artificial respiration, if necessary.
- Evaluates conditions for safety and initiates aquatics emergency action plan as required.
- Inspects pool facilities, equipment, and water to ensure that they are safe and usable.
- Supervises and assists in cleaning the pool and related facilities and equipment, assists with chlorine residual water tests and with records and charts of water tests and records of accidents, and adds chemicals to pool water as directed.
- Instructs or assists classes in fundamentals of swimming as needed.
- Resolves scheduling conflicts to ensure safe pool environment when competing programs/priorities require use of aquatic facilities.
[Work Hours & Benefits] You’ll definitely want to include working hours and benefits specific to your facility. This is another spot to sell potential applicants on things like overtime, seasonal work, or training opportunities. Benefits that can set you apart, like healthcare, paid leave, or tuition or continuing education credits, can go right here as well.
Lifeguard Qualifications / Skills:
- Knowledge and ability to evaluate water conditions at aquatics facilities, at the beach/ocean, or other offsite natural pools, streams, or rivers to determine any potential dangers or hazards
- Ability to adjust programs as necessary to ensure the safety of the visitors and other staff
- Swimming proficiency and comfort in all types of water conditions
- Ability to judge and evaluate evolving dynamics of individuals participating in aquatic activities to immediately assess their capabilities and threats to their safety
- Knowledge of on-site protocols, operational procedures, and safety policies
- Knowledge of methods and techniques for providing on-site emergency medical services
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 6 months of related work experience
- Certified Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certificate, or equivalent
- American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer, or equivalent
- American Red Cross Standard First Aid, or equivalent
[Call to Action] Now that job hunters are familiar with your workplace, perks, and specific job requirements, you need a strong call to action to encourage prospective lifeguards to apply. Let them know whether they should click the “apply” button at the top of this listing or submit an application, resume, and other certification documents to your department.
Ready for your lifeguard job description to go live?
It’s time to begin your candidate search for real. That’s where Monster job ads, and our flexible monthly plans, come in. We put you in the driver’s seat, allowing you to upgrade your job search, scale it down, or cancel it at any time. You’ll get access to Monster Studios, our easy-to-use app that lets you create video job descriptions, at no extra charge. Launch your search today!