Finance Director Job Description Sample
Whether you’re hiring a finance director for a startup or an established company, it’s essential to find someone with the financial and interpersonal skills to be an asset to your team. They must be as comfortable with financial reporting and analysis as they are with leading a department.
The key to finding someone who will excel in this pivotal role is to write a job description that attracts financial directors with the skills and experience you need. If your finance and accounting team members are taxed, you’ll likely want to make a thoughtful hire quickly.
It can be helpful to look at other finance director job postings on Monster, but time is money. You can customize this finance director job description sample to hire an invaluable member of your leadership team.
[Intro Paragraph] Think of this section as an elevator pitch for the role and your company that prompts talented candidates to apply. Stand out from your competitors by noting your company history, press mentions, accolades, and revenue (if it’s a public company). Show why your company is a great place to work by describing your culture, mission, values, and opportunities for career advancement.
Finance Director Job Responsibilities: This is where you’ll share a comprehensive list of the responsibilities so candidates know what to expect and can determine if they have the skills necessary to be successful in the role. For example, you might be looking for a finance director who:
- Leads all financial planning and analysis (FP&A), including forecasting, budgeting, and cash flow management.
- Manages a growing finance department.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports.
- Builds and manages monthly, quarterly, and annual forecasts.
- Advises on venture capital and private equity fundraising strategies.
- Develops strategies to increase return on investment and profitability.
- Oversees and reviews accounting tasks, including payroll, taxes, and compliance.
- Presents financial reports to executives, board members, investors, and other stakeholders.
- Collaborates with the executives and directors to create budgets and track key performance indicators.
- Meets deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Knows and adheres to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rules and regulations.
[Work Hours and Benefits] Use this section of your finance director job description to specify whether you’re looking for a full-time or part-time finance director and if it’s a contract or permanent position. Entice candidates to apply by showcasing the benefits and perks your company offers, such as health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, parental leave, paid time off, bonuses, equity, tuition reimbursement, and discounts.
Finance Director Qualifications and Skills: Next, share the necessary and preferred requirements so finance director candidates know whether they’ll be considered qualified. For example, you may want to include the following:
- Knows how to use FP&A software and has advanced spreadsheet skills.
- Understands financial reporting and has strong analytical skills.
- Communicates effectively and has exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Develops strong working relationships with colleagues across departments and seniority levels.
- Manages direct reports and leads a growing team.
- Excels at multi-tasking, organization, and time management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s in finance, economics, accounting, business, or a related major is required.
- Master of Business Administration or a Master’s in Finance is a plus.
- Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and Chartered Financial Analysts (CFAs) are preferred.
- At least [number of years] in banking, investing, or accounting is required.
[Call to Action] The most effective financial director job postings include a call to action. Invite interested candidates to apply and include any necessary instructions.
Post Your Finance Director Job Description to Find the Right Person
Now that you’ve customized your job description, you need to circulate it to talented financial directors. Capitalize on Monster’s global reach and increase your return on investment with a free job posting.