Consultant Job Description Sample
When you’re hiring a consultant for your consulting firm, it’s crucial to find candidates with stellar client management, critical thinking, and collaboration skills. Consultants need to be fast learners who can quickly identify problems, create solutions for clients in any industry, and figure out how many ping pong balls will fit on an airplane.
A successful hiring process starts with writing a detailed job description that attracts consultants with the right combination of technical and interpersonal skills. It can be helpful to check out consultant job postings on Monster to see what your competitors are doing.
After collecting intel, you can save time on the writing process (and start collecting resumes sooner) by editing this consultant job description to meet your clients’ needs.
[Intro Paragraph] Start with a short summary of the role and your consulting firm. If you’re looking for a particular type of consultant, such as an information technology consultant, note it here to find interested and qualified candidates. It can be helpful to make your firm stand out from your competitors by describing the company culture, values, mission, and accolades. Attract ambitious consultants by sharing professional development opportunities, such as mentorship programs, networking events, training programs, and career advancement paths.
Consultant Job Responsibilities: Use this section to share a detailed list of the day-to-day responsibilities so candidates can decide if they have the necessary skills and are interested in the work. For example, you may be looking for a consultant who:
- Works with clients to identify business challenges and solutions.
- Conducts market research and competitive analysis to identify growth opportunities.
- Develops and leads [operations, human resources, marketing, accounting, technological] projects for clients.
- Reviews and analyzes company information, including [human resources data, financial statements, marketing plans, and technological data] to plan projects.
- Develops strong client relationships across departments and seniority levels, from executives to entry-level employees.
- Knows how to use popular tools, including project management software, customer relationship management software (CRM), proposal software, and presentation tools.
- Writes and presents business proposals to secure new clients.
[Work Hours and Benefits]: Some consultants work at their client’s office four days a week and at the consulting firm one day a week. If clients are out of state, that often means consultants fly to clients and stay in a hotel from Monday to Thursday before flying home for the weekend and packing their bags again. If you’re hiring consultants who will have set travel schedules or know they’ll need to travel a set percentage of the time, share it so candidates know what to expect. This is also where you’ll want to note perks like health insurance, parental leave, paid time off, retirement plans, and tuition reimbursements.
Consultant Qualifications and Skills: Share the necessary and preferred requirements so consulting candidates know whether they’ll be considered qualified. For example, you may want to include the following:
- Develops strong working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Communicates effectively and has strong written and verbal presentation skills.
- Problem-solves well independently and with others.
- Learns quickly and enjoys taking on new clients and projects.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, finance, accounting, computer science, or a related major is required.
- Master of Business Administration or a similar master’s degree is preferred.
[Call to Action] Strong job descriptions include an invitation to apply. Provide instructions for how to apply from the job board or on your consulting firm’s website.
Post Your Consultant Job Description to Grow Your Team
Now that you know how to write an effective consultant job description, you’re ready to start the hiring process. Use Monster’s global reach and filtering tools to find qualified candidates quickly. Post a job for free today to find consultants who will conquer the case interview and be an asset for your clients.