Caregiver job description sample
This caregiver sample job description will help attract the most qualified candidates. For the best results, keep the organization and structure of this template and customize it with the specifics of the exact duties and responsibilities for your position. You can also take a look at our caregiver job listings to find even more ideas to add to your application.
[Intro paragraph] Employers seeking the highest quality applicants often begin the job description with a 2-3 sentence paragraph highlighting a few things that make your opportunity unique and the value you can bring to new hires. This is your chance to really make your facility or home care situation shine and set yourself apart from competing postings.
Caregiver Job Responsibilities:
- Assists residents with activities of daily living, including bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, transferring and getting to and from activities and meals according to the individual service plan.
- Allows and encourages residents to do as much of their own care as possible.
- Serves meals to residents in the dining room or apartments and may assist in preparing meals following preplanned menus.
- Encourages residents to eat a proper diet and take adequate fluids while respecting the resident’s right to free choice and records and reports changes in resident’s eating habits to the supervisor.
- Initiates and participates in leisure activities provided for residents as described in the activity calendar and encourages residents to socialize and participate in planned activities or programs to develop friendships with other residents.
- Maintains residents’ records daily in a timely manner and in accordance with company policy and procedures; documents medication distribution as applicable, leisure activities, incidents, and observations; reports any changes in resident’s physical condition and/or behavior, and visitors; observes and reports the health and emotional condition of each resident; and promptly reports all changes to the supervisor.
- Assists residents with medication as defined in medication procedure; assists or supervises residents who self-administer medication; follows physician orders and state laws to administer medications to residents who cannot self-administer their medications; and exhibits understanding of and follows medication policies and procedures.
- Maintains a clean, safe, and orderly environment for the residents; performs general housekeeping; and follows cleaning schedules for resident laundry, bedrooms, dining area, living space, bathrooms, kitchen, and other areas.
- Follows proper procedures in emergency situations and responds promptly and positively to resident requests for assistance.
- Knows location of each resident, reminds them to sign out when they leave the building, and notifies the supervisor immediately if unable to locate a resident.
- Encourages teamwork through cooperative interactions with co-workers.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This is where you want to include details about the working hours and benefits at your business. Advise prospective caregivers about flexible hours or work-week structures, and any driving or travel requirements. You can also describe benefits you offer, like tuition or continuing education credits, childcare reimbursement, or paid parental leave.
- Health promotion and maintenance
- Creating a safe, effective environment
- Motivating others
- Legal compliance
- Bedside manner
- Medical teamwork
- Promoting mental health
- Pain management
- Listening, analyzing information, and focusing on quality
- Physical ability to reach with hands and arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and lift up to 50 lbs. while avoiding potential injury from transferring, repositioning, or lifting residents
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED
- CPR/FA, 1 & 2 (within 6-12 months of hire), and CPI certification
- Any state-mandated certification
- Minimum 1+ year(s) professional or personal experience supporting individuals with disabilities, mental illnesses, or challenging behaviors
- Must have a valid in-state driver’s license, provide current registration and insurance, and have a driving record with no more than 2 points within the last 3 years
- Must be over 21 years old
[Call to Action] Here is where you turn potential applicants into actual applicants. The best performing listings include a strong call to action in this location, letting job seekers know exactly how to apply with details on how and where to submit an application, resume, and other supporting documents.
Ready to post your job description?
The perfect posting is only half the battle. Take your search to the next level with Monster job ads. We offer a wide range of monthly plans to choose from and you can cancel any time. Find the best plan for your company and you’ll even have access to our massive resume database, MonsterSearch, at no extra charge. Get started now!