[Intro Paragraph] At the beginning of your camp counselor job description, say something about your organization that gives a job seeker an idea of what the camp is all about. This can be a glimpse into the culture and philosophy, or it can be an interesting origin story. Use any information that makes you stand out as an employer and that will entice candidates to apply to the position.
Camp Counselor Job Responsibilities:
- Plans, leads, and implements camp programs for children.
- Provides high-quality educational and recreational opportunities and enjoyable experiences for camp participants.
- Supervises campers and ensures their safety, development, growth, skill achievement, and general well-being.
- Maintains a schedule for camp participants.
- Facilitates and creates lesson plans for daily activities.
- Organizes and leads various small and large group activities
- Ensures the cleanliness of the site.
- Assists in maintaining accurate program records, including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Knows and understands all emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Records and tracks camper’s dietary restrictions/allergies and ensures that the meals/snacks are distributed to them.
- Mediates any campers’ disputes.
- Knows, enforces, and follows all safety guidelines associated with the camp program, including knowing the whereabouts of your charges at all times.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool/body of water areas.
[Work Hours & Benefits] We suggest a discussion ofworking hours and benefits in this portion of your job description. Now that the job seeker has been introduced to the organization and knows the job responsibilities, they will read with interest about the actual working environment. Mention the details about working conditions or requirements, including shift work, weekend work, overtime, and break schedule. For camp counselors, this can be the difference between an overnight counselor and a day counselor. Make mention of any type of benefits that your offer that other employers don’t.
Camp Counselor Qualifications / Skills:
- Enjoys being in the company of children
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Caring personality
- Organization skills
- Mediation skills
- Must be able to carry heavy loads and travel hilly and uneven terrain
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks outside in various climates
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Education and experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field
- First AID and BLF certification
- Lifeguard certification, if applicable
- Oxygen Administration certification, if applicable
[Call To Action] Include a call to action at the end of your camp counselor job description to help increase the number of responses that you will receive. Give the job seeker specific instructions about how to apply. For example, tell them to apply by clicking on the “apply” button at the top of the job listing, emailing a resume to a specific individual, or filling out an application on the company’s website.
Find More Hires the Easy Way
Now that you have some ideas for your camp counselor job description, take the next step and post your job opening. Monster has you covered on this front with a variety of monthly plans. You can scale up or down, depending on your needs. Get started today.