City Manager Sample Job Description
This city manager sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
City Manager Job Responsibilities:
A city manager serves citizens by identifying, evaluating, and meeting community needs.
City Manager Job Duties:
- Recommends programs and services by studying the changing needs of the city; identifying and anticipating community service trends; evaluating and offering options to the board of managers.
- Provides city services by establishing and improving a functional structure; delegating authority.
- Maintains city staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains city staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Achieves financial objectives by developing and recommending an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions; anticipating long-term issues.
- Enforces board's decisions by developing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Complies with federal, state, and local laws and regulations by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Promotes city services by coordinating and cooperating with federal, state, and other local units of government.
- Keeps the mayor and the board informed by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends; remaining accessible; answering questions and requests.
- Maintains rapport with the community by meeting with citizens and advisory groups; reaching out to resolve concerns; settling disputes.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
City Manager Skills and Qualifications:
Presentation Skills, Meeting Management, Informing Others, Persuasion, Tracking Budget Expenses, Developing Budgets, Supports Diversity, Resolving Conflict, People Management, Developing Standards, Legal Compliance
Employers: Post a job in minutes to reach candidates everywhere.
Job Seekers: Search City Manager Jobs and apply on Monster now.
Learn more about the hiring process: