Software Architect Job Description Sample
An accomplished software architect is at the helm of any high-performing software development team. They have the technical and interpersonal skills to lead the team to build innovative technology that will give a company a competitive edge.
If you’re hiring for this in-demand role, it’s essential to write a job description that doubles as an elevator pitch for your company. Your goal is to attract qualified software architects and show the benefits of joining your team.
Start an effective and efficient hiring process by editing this software architect job description sample to find candidates with the exact skills and experience you need. (It can also be helpful to scope out the competition by scrolling through other software architect job postings on Monster.)
[Intro Paragraph] Highlight your company’s history, culture, mission, values, and awards to show why it’s a great place to work. Explain how the software architect will be able to further their career by discussing professional development initiatives, such as leadership programs, complimentary executive coaching, networking opportunities, and career trajectories.
Software Architect Job Responsibilities: Next, compile a list of the most important responsibilities so software architects can determine whether they have the skills and experience to be successful. For example, you might be looking for a software architect who:
- Leads the software development life cycle (SDLC).
- Analyzes market and user research to make data-driven decisions.
- Collaborates with coworkers to brainstorm new software features.
- Pitches software design proposals to executives for approval.
- Writes software requirement specification (SRS) documents.
- Works with the project manager to set and stick to the timeline.
- Manages software developers through the coding process.
- Advises and oversees the software testing team.
- Presents software to executives before deployment.
- Continues to make updates based on user and team feedback.
[Work Hours and Benefits] Software architects typically work full-time and often work overtime, especially when new software is deployed. Show that their effort (and late nights) will pay off by detailing your company’s competitive benefits package and financial incentives like equity compensation and performance bonuses. You may also want to include the other perks software architects are accustomed to like catered meals, free snacks and coffee, a yoga and meditation room, and the opportunity to work remotely.
Software Architect Qualifications and Skills: Use these sections of your software architect job description to list the preferred and required qualifications so that you end up with a stack of resumes from qualified candidates. For example, you may want to include the following:
- Knows common programming languages and frameworks.
- Demonstrates strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Presents to executives and has strong communication skills.
- Leads deployments and has strong project management skills.
- Manages a software development team and has strong leadership skills.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in software engineering, computer science, or a related major is required.
- A master’s degree or Ph.D. in software engineering, computer science, or a related major is preferred.
- At least [number] years of leadership experience is required.
[Call to Action] Optimize your job posting by inviting interested software architects to apply. Include instructions for applying from the job board, your company’s website, or at recruiting events. If you have more information about the hiring timeline and next steps in the hiring process, such as a technical interview and assessment, it’s helpful to include it.
Deploy Your Software Architect Job Description
Ready to find your new software architect? Post your job description on Monster for free to reach software architects who can build best-in-class software for your company. Identify top talent faster by using our advanced resume screening tools to search for candidates with the skills and background you need.