Optometrist Job Description Sample
This optometrist job description sample can be used as a customizable template. Follow the search-optimized outline provided, editing and adding to each section with information about your company or practice and the requirements of the position for which you are hiring. If you need additional help, you can find more examples by looking through our current optometrist job listings.
[Intro Paragraph] We suggest starting your optometrist job description with a two- to three-sentence introductory paragraph, giving candidates some general information about your company or practice and the work environment for the position. This is your opportunity to communicate the value you provide to employees and give candidates a reason to be excited about applying for the role you are advertising.
Optometrist Job Responsibilities:
- Conduct eye exams using optometric equipment and general diagnostic interpretation.
- Diagnose and treat ocular disease.
- Prescribe, fit, and adjust eyeglasses, contact lenses, and other vision aids.
- Recommend appropriate patient follow-up and care options.
- Answer questions and provide advice to patients regarding vision and optical issues.
- Deliver outstanding customer service through all patient interactions.
- Direct staff and assist in the development of the overall practice.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This is where you will want to add a paragraph detailing the work hours and benefits for the position being advertised. Including this information here helps keep candidates’ interest in your job posting and gives you the opportunity to list some of the more noteworthy benefits or perks provided by your company or practice, such as professional insurance coverage, continuing education allowance, or performance-related bonuses. This is also where you will want to mention the general working hour expectations or any special options, such as schedule flexibility and paid time off.
- Applied understanding of general principles of optometry and best practices for the diagnosis and treatment of eye-related disorders and conditions
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to relate to patients of diverse backgrounds
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality
- General computer proficiency
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and multitasking ability
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Doctor of Optometry (OD) degree from an accredited optometry program
- Active state optometry license
- Valid CPR certificate
- Two-plus years of optometrist experience preferred
[Call to Action] We recommend concluding your optometrist job description with a direct call to action, letting candidates know how best to apply for the position. Adding this information is not only helpful to applicants but will also help increase the overall response rate. Your call to action could instruct candidates to send a resume to a specific email address or to click on the apply button located at the top of the page.
Ready to Stop Looking and Start Hiring?
From one-off hires to building out a full team, Monster has a flexible monthly job plan that will help you find the right fit fast, with no long-term commitment required. Our simple job-posting process takes just minutes, and your job will be live on Monster’s network of websites and the Monster mobile app. Find a plan that works for you today!