Landscaper Job Description Sample
Vibrant flowers, blooming bushes, manicured lawns, and high hedges, top-notch landscaping elevates an outdoor space. Whether your landscaping firm works on residential, commercial, or public spaces, your clients are trusting you to create beautiful lawns and gardens that inspire them to stop and smell the roses.
When you’re hiring landscapers for your firm, you need to find people with the skills and professional values to make your clients happy. In addition to their landscaping skills, they need to be reliable, collaborative, and hard-working.
Finding the right fit starts with a detailed job description that clearly explains the role, responsibilities, and requirements. It can be helpful to look at other landscaper job descriptions on Monster, but we know you’re busy running a business. Save time on hiring by customizing this sample job description to help you find candidates who are qualified and excited about working with your firm.
[Intro Paragraph] Think of the introduction paragraph as an elevator pitch that entices talented landscapers to apply. Write a brief description of the role and your landscaping firm. Share the values your landscapers need, such as collaboration, problem-solving, reliability, professionalism, and punctuality.
Landscaper Job Responsibilities: Let candidates know the day-to-day tasks so they can determine if they’re interested in applying. For example, you may want a landscaper who:
- Follows written and verbal instructions from the crew leader and clients.
- Plants new flowers, trees, grass, hedges, and bushes.
- Maintains gardens and lawns, including mowing, trimming, pruning, raking, and weeding.
- Waters plants and lawns and adds fertilizer as needed.
- Installs outdoor lighting and sprinkler systems.
- Removes snow, ice, and leaves as needed.
- Builds and renovates stone pathways, patios, and ledges.
- Loads and unloads equipment and tools into work vehicles.
- Drives work vehicles to and from sites.
- Adheres to all safety precautions.
[Work Hours and Benefits]: Tell landscaping candidates what to expect so they can decide if they want to apply. Include critical details like if the position is a contract or permanent position, seasonal or year-round, and if it’s a full-time or part-time role. Let candidates know the number of hours and days they’d work and the time that the workday starts. If your company offers benefits such as paid time off, sick days, overtime pay, and certification reimbursements, note it in this section because it will make your company stand out from the competition. Many landscaper job descriptions will include the hourly rate, or a range based on experience.
Landscaper Qualifications and Skills: It’s helpful to distinguish between the “must-have” qualifications and the “nice-to-haves” because you could miss out on talented landscapers who would only apply if they meet all the qualifications. Make sure it’s clear that the work will involve manual labor to make sure you’re attracting candidates who are physically up for the task. Here’s a list of key skills you may want to include.
- Uses equipment, including tractors, mowers, leaf blowers, and aerators.
- Lifts 50 pounds and handles the physical demands of the job, including standing, bending, lifting, pulling, and climbing.
- Communicates effectively, speaking multiple languages is preferred.
- Works well independently and with a team.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- At least one year of landscaping experience is preferred, but not required.
- Must have a driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Must be over 18 years old.
[Call to Action] By now, your job description has grabbed the attention of qualified landscapers who are eager to join your company! Invite interested candidates to hit “apply” on the online job posting or to call you directly.
Post Your Landscaper Job Description to Grow Your Team
After you spruce up this landscaper job description to meet your company’s needs, you’re ready to reap what you sow. Get started by posting a job for free on Monster to reach qualified candidates who can create beautiful lawns and gardens for your clients.