Grocery Clerk Job Description Sample
As a grocery store owner or manager, you know it’s not enough to have a great assortment of high-quality products. You also need to provide excellent customer service so shoppers make your grocery store their go-to. When you’re hiring a grocery clerk, it’s essential to find someone who is as comfortable stocking shelves as they are helping shoppers and collaborating with other grocery team members.
The key to finding the right fit is to write a grocery clerk job posting that attracts candidates with the skills and professional values you need. If your grocery team is short-staffed, you probably want to hire a new grocery clerk almost as quickly as they can help a shopper find their new favorite products.
It can be helpful to look at other grocery clerk job postings on Monster for inspiration, but we know you have a full plate. You can save time and make the right hire faster by customizing this grocery clerk job description sample to meet your hiring needs.
[Intro Paragraph] Think of this section as an elevator pitch for the role and your grocery store. Show why your grocery store is a great place to work by describing the history, culture, mission, values, and accolades. Encourage ambitious candidates to apply by discussing your training programs and career advancement opportunities. This is a good place to mention the professional values the ideal candidate should have, such as being dependable, responsible, hard-working, and personable.
Grocery Clerk Job Responsibilities: This is where you’ll share a detailed list of the day-to-day responsibilities so candidates can decide whether they have the necessary skills. For example, you might be looking for a grocery clerk who:
- Greets shoppers, answers questions, and helps them find products.
- Learns about new products quickly and makes recommendations.
- Unloads daily deliveries and organizes the stock room.
- Stocks shelves and displays according to the planogram.
- Makes sure that all products are fresh and within the expiration date.
- Cleans and sanitizes assigned area, including sweeping, mopping, and dusting.
- Follows written and verbal instructions from managers.
- Assists with other departments as needed, including filling in as a cashier or bagger.
- Adheres to federal, state, and local food safety and sanitation guidelines and company policies.
[Work Hours and Benefits] Use this section of your grocery clerk job description to specify whether you’re looking for a full-time or part-time worker. Share the number of hours and days the grocery clerk would work and the time the various shifts start and end. Note if the grocery clerk would occasionally be required to work weekend and holiday shifts. Show that their hard work will be rewarded by featuring the benefits your grocery store offers, such as health insurance, retirement plans, paid time off, overtime pay, employee discounts, and certification and tuition reimbursements. If you know it, it can be helpful to include the hourly rate or range.
Grocery Clerk Qualifications and Skills: Use these sections to list the necessary and preferred requirements so qualified grocery clerk candidates apply. For example, you may want to include the following:
- Collaborates with coworkers across departments.
- Communicates effectively and has strong verbal communication skills.
- Enjoys working with shoppers and has excellent customer service skills.
- Handles the physical demands of the job, including standing, walking, climbing, kneeling, bending, and lifting at least 50 pounds.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- At least [number] years of grocery store experience is preferred.
[Call to Action] The best grocery clerk job postings invite interested candidates to apply. Provide instructions for how to apply from the job board, your website, or by coming in to fill out an application.
Put Your Grocery Clerk Job Description to Work
Once you customize your job description, your next challenge is to find a grocery store clerk who will help provide a stellar grocery shopping experience. Make the most of Monster’s global reach and search tools to grow your grocery team quickly. Get started with a free job posting.