Chef job description sample
Our chef job description sample can act as a template to create a unique, customized posting that will perform well in search and help you target the most qualified candidates. Follow the structure provided and revise the paragraphs and lists with the specific details of the position for which you are hiring. You can also find more great ideas by browsing our chef job listings.
[Intro Paragraph] We suggest starting your chef job description sample with a brief (2-3 sentences) introductory paragraph, providing some general information about your company. This is an opportunity to make a strong impression on potential applicants, so try to communicate what you have to offer employees in an authentic but creative and exciting way.
Chef Job Responsibilities:
- Lead, mentor, and manage culinary team.
- Develop and plan menus and daily specials.
- Create prep lists for kitchen crew.
- Manage food costing and inventory.
- Maintain standards for food storage, rotation, quality, and appearance.
- Ensure compliance with applicable health codes and regulations.
- Establish maintenance and cleaning schedules for equipment, storage, and work areas.
- Participate in interview process and selection of kitchen staff.
- Schedule staff and assist in human resources processes as needed.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This is where we recommend discussing work hours and benefits for the position. Adding this specific information here will help keep candidates’ attention and also provides an opportunity to showcase any noteworthy benefits or perks that you provide, such as paid vacation time, retirement plans, or bonus opportunities. This is also where you should mention any special schedule requirements, such as seasonal overtime, night / weekend work hours, or on-call expectations.
Chef Qualifications / Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of culinary techniques and practices
- Understanding of menu and recipe development techniques
- Strong leadership abilities
- Ongoing awareness of culinary trends
- Understanding of health and sanitation laws
- Excellent knife-handling skills
- Applied wine and beverage knowledge
- Basic computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook)
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High school degree or equivalent
- Formal culinary training / culinary degree
- 3-5 years experience in high-volume kitchens
- Previous kitchen management experience
- ServSafe certification
- Bilingual English / Spanish a plus
[Call to Action] Last, we recommend adding a call to action laying out specific instructions for how interested candidates should apply. Having this information explicitly stated in your job description will increase the response rate and ensure that applicants submit their applications correctly. An example of an effective call to action is telling applicants to submit an application by clicking the “apply” button at the top of the page or by emailing a resume to a specific address.
Ready to start getting resumes?
Whether you’re hiring for one role or building an entire team, Monster has a range of flexible monthly plans to help you find the right fit fast. Our simple job posting process takes minutes and your job ad will be live on the Monster network of sites within an hour, with no long-term commitment required. Find the plan that works for you today!