Business Analyst Job Description Sample
This business analyst job description sample can assist you in creating a job application that will attract the top candidates who are qualified for the role. Feel free to revise this outline to meet your specific duties and requirements, and then browse Monster’s business analyst job listings to find more ideas for building the best description.
[Intro paragraph] You’ll want to introduce prospective analysts to your company and highlight what makes working in your office unique. Take a few short sentences to really set your company apart from competing job listings and sell yourself to job seekers.
Business Analyst Job Responsibilities:
- Elicits, analyzes, specifies, and validates the business needs of stakeholders, be they customers or end users.
- Collaborates with project sponsors to determine project scope and vision.
- Clearly identifies project stakeholders and establish customer classes, as well as their characteristics.
- Conducts interviews to gather customer requirements via workshops, questionnaires, surveys, site visits, workflow storyboards, use cases, scenarios, and other methods.
- Identifies and establishes scope and parameters of requirements analysis on a project-by-project basis to define project impact, outcome criteria, and metrics.
- Works with stakeholders and project team to prioritize collected requirements.
- Researches, reviews, and analyzes the effectiveness and efficiency of existing requirements-gathering processes and develop strategies for enhancing or further leveraging these processes.
- Assists in conducting research on products to meet agreed upon requirements and to support purchasing efforts.
- Participates in the QA of purchased solutions to ensure features and functions have been enabled and optimized.
- Participates in the selection of any requirements documentation software solutions that the organization may opt to use.
- Analyzes and verifies requirements for completeness, consistency, comprehensibility, feasibility, and conformity to standards.
- Develops and utilizes standard templates to accurately and concisely write requirements specifications.
- Translates conceptual customer requirements into functional requirements in a clear manner that is comprehensible to developers/project team.
- Creates process models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to developers and/or the project team.
- Develops and conduct peer reviews of the business requirements to ensure that requirement specifications are correctly interpreted.
- Assists with the interpretation of customer requirements into feasible options, and communicating these back to the business stakeholders.
- Manages and tracks the status of requirements throughout the project lifecycle; enforce and redefine as necessary.
- Communicates changes, enhancements, and modifications of business requirements — verbally or through written documentation — to project managers, sponsors, and other stakeholders so that issues and solutions are understood.
- Provides guidance and/or instruction to junior staff members.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This is an excellent place to talk about the working hours and benefits specific to your company. The most effective business analyst job descriptions take this opportunity to tell prospective candidates about work from home and support staff options, and sell them on the benefits that set your firm apart, such as stock and ownership options, paid parental leave, or corporate travel accounts.
Business Analyst Qualifications / Skills:
- Able to exercise independent judgment and take action on it
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Logical and efficient, with keen attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks while under pressure
- Strong customer service orientation
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- College diploma or university degree in the field of business administration, finance, or information systems
- Three to five years related work experience
- Proven experience with business and technical requirements analysis, elicitation, modeling, verification, and methodology development
- Demonstrated project management skills and project management software skills, including planning, organizing, and managing resources
- Working knowledge of Windows office systems
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives
[Call to Action] Now that applicants are familiar with your firm and the specific job requirements, here is where the best job descriptions turn job seekers into actual applicants. And you do that with a compelling call to action that lets prospective analysts know exactly how to apply, whether it’s submitting an application and resume to someone at your company or clicking the “apply” button on this posting.
Got the Perfect Business Analyst Job Description Ready to Post?
Make sure your next hire is the right one with Monster job ads. Our flexible monthly plans allow you to upgrade, scale down, and cancel at any time. Get started today and you’ll even have access SearchMonster, where you can comb through our massive candidate engagement platform, at no extra charge.