Admissions Counselor Job Description
This admissions counselor sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Admissions Counselor Job Responsibilities:
Recruits students by developing alumni networks; evaluating recruiting techniques and materials; interviewing prospective students; initiating campaigns to induce students to attend the university.
Admissions Counselor Job Duties:
- Develops a network of alumni by identifying and training successful alumni willing to help recruit students; coordinating the network’s activities.
- Develops a profile of students attracted to the college by conducting research; interviewing applicants; designing questionnaires for current students; analyzing questionnaire results; conducting focus groups.
- Evaluates recruitment techniques by determining the effectiveness of each recruitment technique used by admissions; discerning the appeal of admissions literature; defining the expectations of the college to be instilled in incoming students by the admissions staff.
- Recruits students by visiting high schools; attending college nights; visiting community colleges and technological institutions.
- Welcomes prospective students by processing paperwork; interviewing applicants; arranging and conducting campus tours; conducting follow-up activities such as letter writing and phone-calling campaigns.
- Maintains recruiting operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
- Completes projects by identifying and implementing new technology and resources; redesigning systems.
- Improves quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes.
- Avoids legal challenges by complying with legal requirements.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances admissions department and university reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Admissions Counselor Skills and Qualifications:
Decision Making, Motivating Others, Persuasion, Listening, Verbal Communication, Emphasizing Excellence, Supports Diversity, Results Driven, Coordination, Quality Focus, Connecting with Children
Learn more about the hiring process: