Phlebotomist Job Description
Phlebotomist Job Responsibilities:Serves patients by preparing specimens for laboratory testing; performing screening procedures.
Phlebotomist Job Duties:
- Verifies test requisitions by comparing information with nursing station log; bringing discrepancies to the attention of unit personnel.
- Verifies patient by reading patient identification.
- Obtains blood specimens by performing venipunctures and fingersticks.
- Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique, following department procedures; observing isolation procedures.
- Collects therapeutic drug-monitoring assays by collaborating with nursing personnel to ensure appropriate drug dose to collection time.
- Tracks collected specimens by initialling, dating, and noting times of collection; maintaining daily tallies of collections performed.
- Monitors glucose levels by performing bedside glucose tests; recording results; reporting results to unit nurse-manager.
- Performs bleeding-times tests by entering results to the computer; notifying pathologist of results falling outside normal ranges.
- Maintains quality results by following department procedures and testing schedule; recording results in the quality-control log; identifying and reporting needed changes.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Resolves unusual test orders by contacting the physician, pathologist, nursing station, or reference laboratory; referring unresolved orders back to the originator for further clarification; notifying supervisor of unresolved orders.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Serves and protects the hospital community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and jcaho standards.
- Enhances phlebotomy department and hospital reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Phlebotomist Skills and Qualifications:Analyzing Information , Infection Control, Bedside Manner, Attention to Detail, Lab Environment, Procedural Skills, Quality Focus, Hospital Environment, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Performing Diagnostic Procedures, Informing Others
Employers: Post a job in minutes to reach candidates everywhere.
Job Seekers: Search Phlebotomist Jobs and apply on Monster now.
Find out more about compensation: