This medical technologist sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Description: Medical Technologist
Medical Technologist Job Purpose: Provides information for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease by conducting medical laboratory tests, procedures, experiments, and analyses.
Medical Technologist Job Duties:
- Determines normal and abnormal components of body fluids by conducting chemical analyses of blood, urine, spinal fluids, and gastric juices.
- Analyzes blood cells by counting and identifying cells, using microscopic techniques and procedures.
- Prepares blood, plasma, and platelets for transfusions by conducting blood group, type, and compatibility tests.
- Ensures operation of analyzers, spectrophotometers, colorimeters, flame photometers, and other laboratory equipment by calibrating; completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Provides medical technology information by answering questions and requests.
- Prepares reports of technological findings by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Maintains inter- and intradepartmental work flow by fostering a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control and hazardous waste policies and protocols; following identification procedures.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects the hospital by keeping information confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Skills/Qualifications: Documentation Skills, Analyzing Information , Chemistry Techniques, Equipment Maintenance, FDA Health Regulations, Lab Environment, Clinical Lab Testing, Use of Medical Technologies, Organization, Attention to Detail, Informing Others
Learn more about how the hiring process: