This medical records technician sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Description: Medical Records Technician
Medical Records Technician Job Purpose: Maintains record of patient care by compiling, reviewing, and filing documentation of patient's condition, treatment, and health outcome.
Medical Records Technician Job Duties:
- Maintains medical records operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
- Initiates medical record by searching master patient index; identifying existing patient records or need to assign a new number; interacting with registration areas and physicians' offices for information verification; processing or creating the record folder.
- Ensures medical record availability by routing records to admissions and emergency departments, physicians, and other authorized hospital staff; maintaining chart location systems.
- Completes medical record by reviewing information; notifying health care providers of record deficiencies; tracking outstanding records; notifying medical director of physicians in jeopardy of losing admitting privileges.
- Resolves medical record discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Maintains historical reference by abstracting and coding clinical data, such as diseases, operations, procedures, and therapies, using standard classification systems; filing documents.
- Prepares statistical reports by collecting and summarizing medical care and census information, such as types of diseases treated, surgery performed, and use of hospital beds.
- Provides medical record information by answering questions and requests of patients, hospital staff, law firms, insurance companies, and government agencies.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects hospital operations by keeping information confidential; following release-of-information protocols.
- Maintains the stability and reputation of the hospital by complying with legal requirements.
- Keeps equipment operational by following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures.
- Conserves resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Skills/Qualifications: Time Management, Organization, Attention to Detail, Quality Focus, Professionalism, Productivity, Documentation Skills, Written Communication, Data Entry Management, Equipment Maintenance, Supply Management
Learn more about how the hiring process: