This admissions counselor sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Description: Admissions Counselor
Admissions Counselor Job Purpose: Recruits students by developing alumni networks; evaluating recruiting techniques and materials; interviewing prospective students; initiating campaigns to induce students to attend the university.
Admissions Counselor Job Duties:
- Develops a network of alumni by identifying and training successful alumni willing to help recruit students; coordinating the network's activities.
- Develops a profile of students attracted to the college by conducting research; interviewing applicants; designing questionnaires for current students; analyzing questionnaire results; conducting focus groups.
- Evaluates recruitment techniques by determining the effectiveness of each recruitment technique used by admissions; discerning the appeal of admissions literature; defining the expectations of the college to be instilled in incoming students by the admissions staff.
- Recruits students by visiting high schools; attending college nights; visiting community colleges and technological institutions.
- Welcomes prospective students by processing paperwork; interviewing applicants; arranging and conducting campus tours; conducting follow-up activities such as letter writing and phone-calling campaigns.
- Maintains recruiting operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
- Completes projects by identifying and implementing new technology and resources; redesigning systems.
- Improves quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes.
- Avoids legal challenges by complying with legal requirements.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances admissions department and university reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Skills/Qualifications: Decision Making, Motivating Others, Persuasion, Listening, Verbal Communication, Emphasizing Excellence, Supports Diversity, Results Driven, Coordination, Quality Focus, Connecting with Children
Learn more about the hiring process: