[Intro Paragraph] Start your barista job description with an introduction to your café or coffee shop. You’ll want to stress the positive qualities of your business and why a job seeker would want to work for you. Take this chance to make your position stand out from other competing listings, by painting a picture that makes it easy for potential candidates to imagine working for you.
Barista Job Responsibilities:
- Promotes coffee consumption by educating customers; selling coffee and coffee grinding and brewing equipment, accessories, and supplies; preparing and serving a variety of coffee drinks, along with pastries and cookies.
- Welcomes customers by determining their coffee interests and needs.
- Educates customers by presenting and explaining the coffee drink menu; answering questions.
- Sells coffees and coffee grinding and brewing equipment by explaining differences in coffee beans and coffee preparation machines; demonstrating how brewing equipment operates.
- Prepares and sells coffee drinks by following prescribed recipes and preparation techniques for coffee drinks, such as, espresso, espresso lungo, caffe latte, and cappuccino.
- Generates revenues by attracting new customers; defining new and expanded services and products.
- Maintains inventories by replenishing coffee bean supply; stocking coffee brewing equipment; maintaining supplies, pastries, and cookies for coffee bar.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Maintains safe and healthy work environment by following organization standards and sanitation regulations.
- Improves quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes; maintaining and improving the appearance of the store and coffee bar.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading coffee, retail trade, and food service publications; maintaining personal networks.
- Enhances coffee shop reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
[Work Hours & Benefits] Make sure to include information about your working hours and benefits in this section. You can create interest and encourage job seekers to keep reading by describing the expected working conditions or requirements such as flexible schedules, weekend work, and overtime opportunities. Also, be sure to highlight any special benefits that you offer such as uniforms provided, food and beverages provided during shifts, and employee discounts.
Barista Qualifications / Skills:
- Verbal communication
- Customer focus
- Customer service
- Basic safety
- People skills
- Action oriented
- Selling to customer needs
- Client relationships
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent preferred
- Prior café or coffee shop experience a plus
- Familiarity with telephone, office, and point-of-sale software
[Call to Action] Job ads that conclude with a powerful call to action tend to get the most responses. Let job seekers know exactly how you’d like them to apply, whether by emailing a resume, applying in person, or clicking on the “apply” button at the top of the job listing.
Ready to Serve up Your Barista Job Description?
Brewing a great cup of joe is your specialty; ours is helping you find your next great hire. Let Monster job ads take finding your next team member to the next level by providing a range of monthly plans perfect for any size company or job search. Plus, you can cancel at any time. Join today and you’ll have access to SearchMonster at no extra charge, giving you access to our robust candidate engagement platform and allowing you to find the best candidates. Get started here!