Surgeon Job Description Sample
Skilled surgeons confidently make diagnoses, develop treatment plans, and perform operations. They work calmly in high-pressure medical situations and have the necessary interpersonal skills to lead a surgical team toward the goal of providing quality patient care.
If your healthcare facility is short-staffed, then you’re probably wondering how to hire a skilled surgeon quickly. The most important step is to write a job description that prompts qualified surgeons to apply.
Fortunately, writing an effective job description isn’t brain surgery. You can update this surgeon job description sample to meet your hiring needs. Additionally, it may be helpful to read surgeon job postings on Monster to see how other healthcare facilities are hiring for similar surgeon roles.
[Intro Paragraph] There’s a high demand for skilled surgeons, so it’s valuable to use this section to show the benefits of working at your healthcare facility. Stand out from the competition by highlighting its history, culture, mission, values, and awards. Driven surgeons want to advance, so it’s helpful to discuss professional development programs and career trajectories. Specify if you’re looking for a general surgeon or a particular type of specialist so you end up with resumes from qualified candidates.
Surgeon Job Responsibilities: This is where you’ll share a list of the tasks the surgeon would handle at your healthcare facility. The job responsibilities will vary depending on whether you’re hiring a general surgeon or a specialist, so it’s helpful to add additional requirements based on your hiring needs. To get you started, you might be looking for someone who:
- Performs surgeries and manages the surgical team.
- Develops preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative plans.
- Discusses surgery results with patients and medical staff.
- Examines patients to make diagnoses and treat illnesses and injuries.
- Follows all medical laws, guidelines, regulations, and standards.
- Adheres to the healthcare facility’s policies and procedures.
[Work Hours and Benefits] Next, specify if you’re looking for a full-time or part-time surgeon. Share logistics about the time commitment, such as whether the surgeon would work on a shift schedule and if they’d need to work early mornings, late nights, and weekends. Experienced surgeons expect that they will need to be on-call at all hours. Show that their hard work will be rewarded by discussing the benefits package your medical facility offers and any financial incentives like bonuses and tuition reimbursement.
Surgeon Qualifications and Skills: Use these sections of your surgeon job description to list the necessary and preferred qualifications. For example, you may want to include the following:
- Knows how to effectively manage a surgical team.
- Provides exceptional patient care and has strong surgical skills.
- Demonstrates strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Develops strong relationships with patients and has a great bedside manner.
- Works calmly and diligently in fast-paced and high-stress medical situations.
- Collaborates with medical and administrative staffers and has strong interpersonal skills.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or a related major is required.
- A Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) degree is required.
- An active medical license in [state] is required.
- An active certification from The American Board of Surgery is preferred.
- At least [number] years of surgical experience is strongly preferred.
[Call to Action] End your job description on a strong note by inviting surgeons to apply. Include instructions for applying from the job board or your healthcare facility’s website. It can also be helpful to share the next steps in the hiring process so that candidates know what to expect.
Make the Most of Your Surgeon Job Description
Post your job description on Monster to kick off an efficient hiring process. You’ll reach a large pool of qualified candidates and can use our filtering tools to quickly select surgeons with the skills and experience to provide the highest level of patient care.