Scrum Master Job Description Sample
This scrum master job description sample provides an excellent outline for creating a job posting that will attract top candidates to your company. The highest performing posting retain the structure and organization of the description and customize it to reflect the specific duties and requirements of the position for which you are hiring. You can also browse our scrum master job listings for more ideas about how to build your ideal listing.
[Intro paragraph] We encourage you to introduce prospective scrum masters to your company, culture, and working environment first. Take two or three sentences to sell yourself to the job candidate, describing your company’s values and what you can offer new employees. A good introductory paragraph can truly set your position apart from competing job listings.
Scrum Master Job Responsibilities:
- Guides and coaches the Scrum Team on how to use Agile practices and principles to deliver high quality products and services to our customers.
- Gets team to a high performing level by recognizing areas of strength and improvement and employing appropriate coaching and development techniques.
- Responsible for ensuring Scrum is understood and the team adheres to Scrum theory, practice, and guidelines.
- Coaches the Scrum team in self-organization, cross-functional skillset, domain knowledge and communicates effectively, both internally and externally working within the Scrum team.
- Works with Scrum Team, as well as internal and external stakeholders, to influence and drive decision making and support organizational project or product teams.
- Resolves team impediments with other Scrum Masters to increase the effectiveness of the application of Scrum in the organization.
- Works with Agile coaches and other Scrum Masters to grow within the role.
- Contributes to the advancement and improvement of Agile practices within the organization.
- Facilitates and supports all scrum events: Sprint Planning, Daily Scrum, Sprint Review, and Sprint Retrospective.
- Acts as a leader who coaches and supports Agile teams assigned to mainly Business as Usual (BAU) work and to a lesser degree, important department initiatives and applicable portions of corporate projects and initiatives.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This is where you want to include detailed information about your working hours and benefits. Discuss flexible hours, telecommuting, and work from home options, as well as any on-site meeting or travel requirements. It’s also a great time to highlight any unique benefits that set your company apart, like commuter credits, profit sharing, or paid family leave.
Scrum Master Qualifications / Skills:
- Exemplifies and promotes Agile values and principles
- Outstanding communication, facilitation, negotiation, and coaching skills
- Knowledge of an agile framework or method (i.e. Scrum, Kanban), or understanding of software development life cycle models as well as in-depth knowledge of traditional project management principles and practices
- Adept at refinement, story splitting, estimation, velocity, retrospection, and other Scrum techniques
- Planning and problem solving with product management and delivery teams
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and 4 years of product or project development experience, or 3 years of project development experience on an Agile Team or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Demonstrated experience facilitating meetings at multiple levels of an organization and an understanding of facilitation techniques
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including but not limited to Outlook, Word, and Excel
[Call to Action] The best performing job ads include a compelling call to action that lets potential applicants know exactly how and where to apply. Include any specific details, like hiring manager contact information or required documentation. Or, you can simply instruct prospective scrum masters to click on the “apply” button at the top of the job listing.
Have Your Scrum Master Job Description Ready to Post?
Well done. Now you’re ready to use Monster job ads to find the best of the best candidates. Monster offers a wide range of monthly plans that can be tailored to fit any company’s needs, giving you the power to upgrade or scale down your job search, or cancel any time. Get started today!