Product Owner Job Description Sample
This product owner job description sample is the ideal launching pad for a job posting that will attract the ideal candidates to your company. High performing posts maintain the same structure and organization of this outline, customizing it with the specific requirements and duties of each position. Feel free to browse our product owner job listings for even more ideas about building your perfect posting.
[Intro paragraph] Begin your job description by introducing prospective product owners to your company, culture, and working environment. Two or three well-crafted sentences describing your company’s values and what you can offer new employees can really sell yourself to the best candidates. So consider this your opportunity to set your position apart from competing job listings.
Product Owner Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for innovation and end-to-end launch of products.
- Collaborates with global commercial services partners and customers to co-develop a roadmap and drive products and features from concept to launch in a fast-paced environment.
- Works with cross-functional teams and various stakeholders, including analytics, design/user experience, engineering, and user enablement.
- Turns data insights into products with actionable outcomes to the ultimate customer.
- Works in an Agile environment and continuously reviews the business needs, refines priorities, outlines milestones and deliverables, and identifies opportunities and risks.
- Partners with stakeholders and customers across the organization to inform the product vision, strategy, features, and prioritization.
- Develops, owns, and executes product roadmap.
- Works with user-focused departments to define the self-service user experience, support, and monitoring for customers.
- Partners with sales departments to define the user experience for internal GCS users, including support and monitoring.
- Translates product roadmap features into well-defined product requirements including features, user stories, and acceptance test criteria.
- Prioritizes and maintains the sprint backlog for assigned products, balancing the requirements of stakeholders.
- Leads the product functional design process based on an intimate knowledge of the users and technology.
- Defines and executes go-to-market plan, working to ensure that product management, marketing, and sales have what they need to be successful.
- Develops and maintains appropriate tracking and reporting of product performance post-launch to evaluate future investment.
[Work Hours & Benefits] High-performing job descriptions include detailed information about working hours and benefits. Let prospective product owners know about flexible hours and work from home options, as well as any on-site meeting or travel requirements. This is also the perfect time to highlight benefits like commuter credits, profit sharing, or paid family leave that may be unique to your company.
Product Owner Qualifications / Skills:
- Balance of technical knowledge and business acumen
- Customer first, ABCD thinking mind set
- Proactive, self-starter with excellent project management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks effectively
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to engage, influence, and inspire partners and stakeholders to drive collaboration and alignment
- High degree of organization, individual initiative, and personal accountability
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and 4 years of product or project development experience
- At least 1 year of experience in Product Management and/or Product Development
- Proven track record of delivering data driven solutions with a customer-first mindset
- Established background in launching software or services in partnership with engineering teams and high degree of proficiency in prototyping, iterative development, understanding of Agile principles
- Experience successfully driving end-to-end delivery of data and intelligence solutions, including a wide variety of mechanisms, e.g. dashboards, APIs, real time alerts, etc.
- Experience with procurement, expense management, and treasury businesses and processes
[Call to Action] Now that you’ve got a job seeker’s interest, lead them to act on it. A strong call to action lets potential applicants know exactly how and where to apply, whether by contacting a hiring manager at your company or simply clicking on the “apply” button at the top of the job listing.
Is Your Job Description Ready for Prime Time?
Posting a great job description is only half the battle. Take advantage of Monster job ads for the other half — tracking down the best of the best candidates. Our wide range of monthly plans fit just about any company’s needs, giving you the power to swap out job ads, upgrade, or scale down your search at any time. And additional services are included at no additional cost. Get started today!