Laboratory Manager Job Description
This laboratory manager sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Laboratory Manager Job Responsibilities:
Serves patients by providing medical laboratory diagnostic and therapeutic information, products, and services.
Laboratory Manager Job Duties:
- Provides medical laboratory diagnostic and therapeutic information, products, and services by establishing specimen preparation procedures; developing and implementing analytical procedures; evaluating laboratory information; consulting with pathologists; reporting results according to protocols mandated by the hospital and public health department.
- Maintains medical laboratory equipment performance by establishing quality standards; developing operations, quality, and troubleshooting procedures; ensuring staff compliance; certifying instrument performance; arranging equipment replacement, service, and repair.
- Maintains medical laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Maintains medical laboratory productivity by monitoring workload of functional areas; identifying peak and slack periods; making operational or staffing adjustment.
- Maintains quality results by participating in the hospital quality assurance program; consulting with pathologists; performing proficiency surveys; reviewing quality control and quality assurance programs; making adjustments in policy and procedures; generating reports; maintaining records.
- Maintains medical laboratory information system by identifying information needs and problems; recommending improvements; establishing priorities; testing; writing user manuals; training employees; maintaining security and confidentiality.
- Implements new programs, tests, methods, instrumentation, and procedures by investigating alternatives; preparing proposals; developing and performing parallel testing; monitoring progress.
- Maintains medical laboratory staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Maintains medical laboratory staff results by counseling and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Prepares physicians, nurses, patients, and students by teaching analytical theory, testing methodology, and the role of tested components in human physiology and medical practice.
- Complies with state and professional continuing education licensure requirements by providing in-service programs; monitoring outcomes.
- Resolves problems by consulting with pathologists, other laboratory managers, technical coordinators, laboratory directors, physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals; attending committee meetings.
- Bills for services by completing requests for service; monitoring billed units; providing the billing office with service codes.
- Provides administrative support for the hospital by acting as manager on call.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Laboratory Manager Skills and Qualifications:
Managing Processes, Presenting Technical Information, Management Proficiency, Equipment Maintenance, Training , Analyzing Information , Informing Others, Quality Focus, Clinical Lab Testing, Lab Environment, Technical Understanding
Employers: Post a job in minutes to reach candidates everywhere.
Job Seekers: Search Laboratory Manager Jobs and apply on Monster now.
Read more about the recruiting process: