Economist Job Description Sample
When you’re hiring an economist, it’s essential to find someone who will give your organization a competitive edge. They need to have the research and analytical skills to interpret data and draw meaningful conclusions. They must also have strong interpersonal and operational skills so they can work with colleagues to implement data-driven business strategies.
Hire someone who will be an asset to your organization by writing a job description that attracts economists with the skills you need. It can be beneficial to read other economist job postings on Monster to gain insights into how other organizations are hiring for the role.
There’s a high demand for economists, so it’s valuable to make the right hire before they bring their skills to your competition. You can edit this economist job description sample to save time and make a diligent hire almost as fast as they can build an economic model.
[Intro Paragraph] Use this section as an elevator pitch for the role and your organization. It’s valuable to show why your organization is a great place to work by highlighting your culture, mission, values, and accolades. Attract ambitious economists by discussing professional development opportunities, such as career trajectories, mentorship programs, and training programs.
Economist Job Responsibilities: Use this section to share a comprehensive list of the responsibilities so economists can determine whether they have the necessary skills. For example, you might be looking for an economist who:
- Builds economic and econometric models to analyze business and market trends.
- Leads scenario-based planning and strategic financial planning projects.
- Uses popular statistical analysis software to analyze data.
- Presents research findings and strategy proposals to executives.
- Works with colleagues across departments to implement business strategies.
- Creates internal and external documents such as research papers, presentations, and articles.
- Contributes to academic journals and media outlets on behalf of the company.
[Work Hours and Benefits] Like many senior positions, the economist role is rarely a nine-to-five job. Experienced economists expect that there will be occasional late nights in the office to hit important deadlines. Show the cost-benefit analysis by featuring your competitive employee benefits package and financial incentives like performance bonuses, equity compensation, and tuition reimbursement. If you know the base salary range, it can be helpful to include it.
Economist Qualifications and Skills: Use this section of the economist job description to list the necessary and preferred requirements so candidates know whether they meet the expectations. For example, you may want to include the following:
- Explains complex information clearly and has strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Builds strong working relationships with colleagues.
- Enjoys tackling new projects and has strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Works well independently and has strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Knows Python, R, or SQL.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, statistics, or a related field is required.
- A master’s degree or Ph.D. in economics, finance, statistics, or a related field is strongly preferred.
- At least [number of years] of economics experience is required.
[Call to Action] Effective economist job postings include an invitation to apply. Provide instructions for how to apply from the job board, your organization’s website, or at on-campus recruiting events. This is where you’ll specify any additional information you need such as academic references, transcripts, and writing samples. If you have information about the hiring timeline or next steps in the hiring process, include it so candidates know what to expect.
Post Your Economist Job Description to Find the Right Fit
After editing the job description, your next challenge is to reach skilled economists. Capitalize on Monster’s global reach and use our search tools to find someone who can help your company advance. Find out how you can maximize your return on investment with a free job posting.