Chief operating officer job description sample
This chief operating officer job description sample will help you create a posting that will attract the most qualified candidates. By building on the structure and organization of this ad and customizing it with your specific job duties and requirements, you’ll turn those candidates into applicants. You can also browse our chief operating officer (COO) job listings for more ideas on how to fill out your description.
Chief Operating Officer
[Intro paragraph] Kick off your COO job description with an introductory paragraph that gives the prospective applicant a few details about your company and the working environment. This is your chance to set your firm apart from the rest. Taking 2-3 sentences to cater your recruiting pitch to the ideal candidate means you’ll lure the best of the best.
Chief Operating Officer Job Responsibilities:
- Acts as a strategic partner on the leadership team and works closely with the team to ensure they are meeting performance expectations.
- Coaches and develops the team to ensure they are delivering against key business metrics.
- Looks for methods to improve quality, efficiency and productivity, reduce costs, increase profits, or improve control measures.
- Works collaboratively to develop and/or improve systems, processes, controls and procedures that improve the overall efficiency of the firm and insure excellent client service.
- Provides timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the company.
- Manages the overall strategy, purpose, and vision of the entire Human Resources function: benefits, payroll, 401k, recruitment, learning and development, culture, performance management, and succession planning.
- Leads and develop a team across multiple locations and over various functions.
- Motivates and leads a high-performance management team.
- Attracts, recruits, and retains required members of the executive team not currently in place
- Provides mentoring as a cornerstone to the management career development program. Collaborates with the management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of our organization.
- Demonstrates a willingness to take on new tasks with a general attitude that no task is too small, impossible, or cannot be improved.
- Work autonomously while ensuring CEO expectations are readily met and exceeded.
- Fosters a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company.
- Represents the firm with clients, investors, and business partners.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This is where you can discuss the working hours and benefits specific to your company. This is your chance to tell prospective COOs about work from home and support staff options. You can also focus on the benefits that set you apart, such as stock and ownership options, paid parental leave, or corporate travel accounts.
Chief Operating Officer Qualifications/Skills:
- Corporate management
- Financial planning and strategy
- Strategic planning and vision
- Promotion of process improvement
- Marketing and business development
- Budget development
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or a related field required
- MBA strongly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of management experience
- In-depth understanding of the industry including risk management, compliance, and regulatory requirements
- In-depth understanding of accounting principles including budgeting, balance sheets, income statements, cash flow, and capital planning management
- Demonstrated strategic leadership ability
[Call to Action] Now that you have a candidate’s interest, you need to let them know how to apply and encourage them to do so. The best job listings do that with a strong call to action. Advise prospective COOs to apply through the job listing or to contact your HR department directly.
Ready to post your chief operating officer job description?
Posting a great job description and waiting for a response is a good enough start. But you want to be in the driver’s seat when it comes to finding the right COO. Monster job ads provides a range of monthly plans that can be customized for your company or job search, and you can even access Monster Studios and create video job descriptions. Get started right here!