Biochemist Job Description Sample
This biochemist job description sample can assist in your creating a job application that will attract the most qualified candidates for the position. Feel free to revise this general outline to meet your specific job duties and requirements. You can also get more ideas about crafting the perfect listing by browsing our biochemist job listings.
[Intro paragraph] The best job descriptions provide two or three sentences that introduce prospective biochemists to your company, culture, and working environment. This is where you can sell your facility to job seekers and set yourself apart from competing job listings.
Biochemist Job Responsibilities:
- Leads development and implementation of biomolecule analysis.
- Develops technologies for efficient detection and quantification of small and large biomolecules including protein and nucleic acids to support product research and development.
- Integrates technologies to improve protein efficacy or enzyme activities.
- Applies metabolomics, proteomics, genetics, and genomics knowledge to develop molecular analysis tools.
- Develops new processes/methods/protocols and brings new technologies to improve function capability and efficiency.
- Identifies, evaluates, and integrates novel analysis technologies.
- Collaborates both internally and externally to develop new capabilities.
- Provides scientific expertise required to design and deliver objectives defined by a group, project, or supervisor.
- Follows existing processes, procedures, and systems to independently design and conduct complex experiments.
- Is also responsible for initiating and implementing changes to established protocols or systems.
- Delivers results in fast changing business and/or regulatory environments.
- Uses best practices and knowledge of internal business issues to improve products, process, or service.
- Contributes to product, process, or service improvements.
[Work Hours & Benefits] It’s always a good idea to highlight any working hours and benefits specific to your organization. Biochemists will want to learn things like team size and workweek flexibility. You can also highlight any of the benefits that set you apart, like childcare reimbursements, commuter benefits, and tuition or continuing education credits.
Biochemist Qualifications / Skills:
- Proven ability to manage large and complex databases and develop summary analysis, including summary tables and charts
- Analytical and problem-solving skills including a knowledge of statistical applications and techniques
- Sound organizational and data management skills, and ability to handle several responsibilities and work under tight time constraints
- Ability to work without direct supervision, paying close attention to detail and bearing independent responsibility for data accuracy
- Proven experience in dealing with all levels of staff in responding to a wide range of inquiries
- Ability to use tact, discretion, and sound judgment when dealing with confidential information
- Analyzing information
- Verbal communication
- Managing processes
- Legal compliance
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, or Chemistry
- Expertise in expression and purification of proteins, chromatography, site-directed mutagenesis, directed evolution, protein labeling, enzyme-substrate interaction assays, proteomic technology, and manipulation of DNA- or RNA-interacting proteins and peptides
- Published record of developing novel methods and assays
- Experience with molecular modeling and protein structure predictions and relevant programming and computational methods
- Ability to set up and operate complex instrumentation and laboratory automation
- Ability to analyze own data (fluency with Python, R, MATLAB, or Octave a must)
[Call to Action] The best job descriptions entice potential applicants to apply and teach them how with a compelling call to action. For instance, you can let job hunters know whether you’d like them to submit an application by clicking on the “apply” button at the top of the job listing or if you’d rather them email an application, resume, and supporting documents to a specific person at your facility.
Got the Perfect Biochemist Job Description Ready to Go Live?
Fill your open position with the help Monster job ads. Our range of monthly plans are perfect for any size company or job search, and you can cancel at any time. Join today and you’ll have access to SearchMonster at no extra charge, giving you access to our massive engagement platform and allowing you to find the best biochemistry candidates out there. Get started today!