This medical records clerk sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Description: Medical Records Clerk
Medical Records Clerk Job Purpose: Creates new medical records and retrieves existing medical records by gathering appropriate record folders and contents; assigning and recording new record numbers; verifying existing record numbers; inputting and recording locations to computer; delivering records.
Medical Records Clerk Job Duties:
- Gathers patient information by collecting demographic information from a variety of sources; interacting with registration areas and physicians' offices; retrieving information from automated printer.
- Maintains master patient index by completing assigned portion of daily audit trail; corrects and communicates problems according to established procedures.
- Initiates the medical record by creating and processing the patient care record folder.
- Maintains record availability by processing charts into the department; using chart mark-off procedures; facilitating chart location activities.
- Retrieves medical records by following chart-out procedures; documenting reasons charts cannot be retrieved for statistical and follow-up purposes.
- Delivers charts to assigned areas of the hospital by following established routing procedures.
- Keeps health care providers informed by communicating availability or unavailability of the record.
- Maintains quality results by following hospital standards.
- Maintains continuity of work operations by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Maintains patient confidence by keeping patient records information confidential.
- Serves and protects the hospital community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and jcaho standards.
- Enhances medical records and hospital reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Skills/Qualifications: Time Management, Organization, Attention to Detail, Quality Focus, Professionalism, Productivity, Thoroughness, Coordination, Deadline-Oriented, Internal Communications, Reporting Skills
Employers: Post a job in minutes to reach candidates everywhere.
Job Seekers: Search jobs and apply on Monster now.
Find out more about how to hire: