Sous chef job description sample
The importance of a meaningful job description in your posting can’t be stressed enough. If it’s effective, it will help to encourage desirable candidates to apply. You can use Monster’s sous chef job description template to help you write your own description. Simply follow the template’s design and organization and swap in your own words to fit company needs for the position. If you get stuck, browse our sous chef job postings.
[Intro Paragraph] In the introduction to your sous chef job description, you will talk about what makes your company an exceptional employer. What sets your organization apart from the rest? In answering this question, look to current satisfied employees. Use what they enjoy about working for you when conveying a message to job seekers about what they can look forward to when they join the team.
Sous Chef Job Responsibilities:
- Directs food preparation and collaborates with executive chef.
- Helps in the design of food and drink menu.
- Produces high quality plates, including both design and taste.
- Oversees and supervises kitchen staff.
- Assists with menu planning, inventory, and management of supplies.
- Ensures that food is top quality and that kitchen is in good condition.
- Keeps stations clean and complies with food safety standards.
- Offers suggestions and creative ideas that can improve upon the kitchen’s performance.
- Prepares food properly.
- Schedules staff shifts.
- Trains new employees.
- Orders food supplies.
- Monitors and maintains kitchen equipment.
- Solves problems that arise and seizes control of issues in the kitchen.
[Work Hours & Benefits] Put details about working hours and benefits in this section of your job description. It’s important to know about the work environment, so this should be stated up front. Tell job seekers about working conditions or requirements, including shift work, weekend work, overtime, and break schedule. This is especially relevant for sous chefs who often work evening hours, weekends, and holidays. Additionally, be sure to include any information about special benefits or perks that you offer that other employers don’t.
Sous Chef Qualifications/Skills:
- Knowledge of various cooking methods, ingredients, and procedures
- Management skills
- Familiarity with industry’s best practices
- Hand-eye coordination
- Time-management skills
- Decision making
- Handles pressure
- Deals with uncertainty
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Formal culinary training can be helpful
- Kitchen experience
[Call To Action] If you want to help improve your chances at receiving a response, make sure to add a call to action at the end of your sous chef job description. Give job seekers clear instructions, such as “apply on the company website” or tell them to email a specific individual.
Ready for your job description to go live?
Now you can really get cooking. Find the best candidates fast, with Monster job ads. Our wide range of monthly plans fit any company’s needs, giving you the ability to swap out jobs, upgrade, scale down, or cancel any time. You can also take advantage of free tools like Monster Studios, our video job description app. Get started today!