Deli Clerk Job Description Sample
As a grocery store or deli owner, you know it’s not enough to have delicious food. You also need to provide excellent customer service. When you’re hiring a deli clerk, it’s essential to find someone who can make a great impression and a delicious sandwich.
To find the right fit, you need to write a job description that attracts candidates with the right combo of skills and professional values. If your team is short-staffed, you likely want to hire a new deli clerk almost as fast as they can make a sandwich.
It can be helpful to look at other deli clerk job postings on Monster for inspiration, but we know you have a full plate. You can save time and make the right hire faster by editing this deli clerk job description sample to meet your hiring needs.
[Intro Paragraph] The most effective deli clerk job postings use this section as an elevator pitch for the role and company. Show why your business is a great place to work by describing the culture, mission, values, and accolades. Attract ambitious candidates by discussing your training programs and career advancement opportunities. Share the professional values the ideal candidate should have, such as being reliable, collaborative, and personable.
Deli Clerk Job Responsibilities: This is where you’ll share a detailed list of the responsibilities so candidates know what to expect and can determine if they have the necessary skills. For example, you might be looking for a deli clerk who:
- Provides excellent customer service, makes product recommendations, and answers questions.
- Prepares food for customers, including slicing deli meats and cheeses, making sandwiches, and pricing and packaging items.
- Learns about new deli items and menu options quickly.
- Unloads daily deliveries and makes sure the deli display cases are organized and fully stocked with fresh food.
- Uses portion scales, handheld printers, and point-of-sale systems to price items and complete transactions.
- Operates all deli equipment according to safety guidelines.
- Cleans and sanitizes deli equipment and food surfaces, including meat and cheese slicers, deli display cases, and utensils.
- Follows written and verbal instructions from managers.
- Adheres to federal, state, and local food safety and sanitation guidelines and company policies.
[Work Hours and Benefits] Use this section of your deli clerk job description to specify whether you’re looking for a full-time or part-time worker. Share the number of hours and days the deli clerk would work and the times your various shifts start and end. Stand out by featuring the benefits your company offers, such as health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off, employee discounts, and certification or tuition reimbursements. Many deli clerk job postings will include the hourly rate or range.
Deli Clerk Qualifications and Skills: Next, list the necessary and preferred requirements so qualified deli clerk candidates apply. For example, you may want to include the following:
- Handles the physical demands of the job, including standing, walking, kneeling, bending, and lifting at least 50 pounds.
- Collaborates with deli team members and helps other departments as needed.
- Communicates effectively, speaking multiple languages is a plus.
- Enjoys working with customers.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- At least [number of years] of deli experience is preferred, but not required.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
[Call to Action] Effective deli clerk job postings include an invitation to apply. Provide instructions for how to apply from the job board, your website, or by coming in to fill out an application.
Post Your Deli Clerk Job Description
After customizing your job description, the next step is to reach candidates who will make your customers happy. Assemble the right team quickly by taking advantage of Monster’s global reach and advanced search tools