This respiratory therapist sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Description: Respiratory Therapist
Respiratory Therapist Job Purpose: Restores patient's pulmonary function; alleviates pain; supports life by planning and administering medically prescribed respiratory therapy.
Respiratory Therapist Job Duties:
- Meets patient's goals and needs and provides quality care by conducting pulmonary function tests; assessing and interpreting evaluations and test results; determining respiratory therapy treatment plans in consultation with physicians and by prescription.
- Helps patient accomplish treatment plan and supports life by administering inhalants; operating mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators.
- Administers respiratory therapy treatments by performing bronchopulmonary drainage; assisting with breathing exercises; monitoring physiological responses to therapy, such as vital signs, arterial blood gases, and blood chemistry changes; directing treatments given by aides, technicians and assistants.
- Evaluates effects of respiratory therapy treatment plan by observing, noting, and evaluating patient's progress; recommending adjustments and modifications.
- Completes discharge planning by consulting with physicians, nurses, social workers, and other health care workers; contributing to patient care conferences.
- Assures continuation of therapeutic plan following discharge by designing home exercise programs; instructing patients, families, and caregivers in home exercise programs; recommending and/or providing assistive equipment; recommending outpatient or home health follow-up programs.
- Documents patient care services by charting in patient and department records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects hospital operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Develops respiratory therapy staff by providing information; developing and conducting in-service training programs.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal and certification requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Skills/Qualifications: Bedside Manner, Physiological Knowledge, Infection Control, Health Promotion and Maintenance, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Informing Others, Verbal Communication, Medical Teamwork, Judgment, Procedural Skills, People Skills
Learn more about how the hiring process: