This respiratory therapist sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Respiratory Therapist Job Responsibilities:
Restores patient's pulmonary function; alleviates pain; supports life by planning and administering medically prescribed respiratory therapy.
Respiratory Therapist Job Duties:
- Meets patient's goals and needs and provides quality care by conducting pulmonary function tests; assessing and interpreting evaluations and test results; determining respiratory therapy treatment plans in consultation with physicians and by prescription.
- Helps patient accomplish treatment plan and supports life by administering inhalants; operating mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators.
- Administers respiratory therapy treatments by performing bronchopulmonary drainage; assisting with breathing exercises; monitoring physiological responses to therapy, such as vital signs, arterial blood gases, and blood chemistry changes; directing treatments given by aides, technicians and assistants.
- Evaluates effects of respiratory therapy treatment plan by observing, noting, and evaluating patient's progress; recommending adjustments and modifications.
- Completes discharge planning by consulting with physicians, nurses, social workers, and other health care workers; contributing to patient care conferences.
- Assures continuation of therapeutic plan following discharge by designing home exercise programs; instructing patients, families, and caregivers in home exercise programs; recommending and/or providing assistive equipment; recommending outpatient or home health follow-up programs.
- Documents patient care services by charting in patient and department records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects hospital operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Develops respiratory therapy staff by providing information; developing and conducting in-service training programs.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal and certification requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Respiratory Therapist Skills and Qualifications:
Bedside Manner, Physiological Knowledge, Infection Control, Health Promotion and Maintenance, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Informing Others, Verbal Communication, Medical Teamwork, Judgment, Procedural Skills, People Skills
Employers: Post a job in minutes to reach candidates everywhere.
Job Seekers: Search Respiratory Therapist Jobs and apply on Monster now.
Learn more about how the hiring process: