Patient Care Unit Clerk Job Description
This patient care unit clerk sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Patient Care Unit Clerk Job Responsibilities:
Supports patient care delivery by providing clerical services.
Patient Care Unit Clerk Job Duties:
- Helps patients by responding to intercom requests; obtaining needed services from nurses, licensed practical nurses, physicians, aides, and other hospital personnel.
- Welcomes visitors by greeting visitors, in person or on the telephone; answering inquiries; relaying calls to patients; giving directions; referring inquiries to nursing and physician staff.
- Provides information by answering questions and requests.
- Establishes patient record by preparing folder; assigning patient number; completing patient identification information.
- Documents patient care services by copying nursing and physician notes to patient and department records.
- Arranges discharges by notifying business office and patient transporter service.
- Maintains unit operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects hospital operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains unit supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Keeps unit equipment operational by following manufacturer’s instructions and established procedures; calling for repairs.
- Conserves unit resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Secures patient information by completing data base backups.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations; adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Maintains continuity among work teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Patient Care Unit Clerk Skills and Qualifications:
Time Management, Organization, Attention to Detail, Quality Focus, Professionalism, Productivity, Patient Services, Medical Teamwork, Telephone Skills, Customer Focus, Supply Management
Learn more about how to hire: