Top trends in Portland Hiring
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA Metro Area - August 2016
Monster Intelligence dug into who’s hiring and for what in Portland these days. If you’re recruiting in this area, you’ll want to know what we found.
Referred to as "Greater Portland", the Portland metro area is centered on the principal city of Portland, Oregon, the largest city in the state or Oregon. Technology is a major component of the city's economy, nicknamed the Silicon Forest in reference to the abundance of trees and technology companies in the region. The area is home to many athletic and footwear manufacturers as well such as Nike, Adidas, and Columbia Sportswear. The biggest drivers of job growth are the Portland metro area's professional and business services, retail, and healthcare industries. In the past year this growth has been slightly offset by jobs shed in the manufacturing industry. The area has created 33,800 new jobs over the past 12-months; the unemployment rate was 5.1% in June 2016 which was just 0.2 percentage points above the national rate of 4.9%.
By June 2016, 1.3 million workers were employed in the Portland area, and the market accounts for 62% of all Oregon jobs posted on Monster. To give you some insight into what your recruiting competitors are up to, our Monster Intelligence team analyzed data from the CEB TalentNeuron™ tool to identify which companies are posting the most jobs, and which jobs are most listed, and which jobs are most searched. Supporting the biggest industry drivers of job growth in Portland the positions most in-demand includes: registered nurses, truck drivers, software developers, and retail sales workers.
What are companies hiring for?
Most Common Employment in Portland:
- Administrative Supervisors
- Retail Supervisors
- Food & Serving Supervisors
- Operating & Production Managers
Most In-Demand Jobs in Portland:
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Truck Drivers, Heavy and Tractor-trailer
- Software Developers, Applications
- Retail Salespersons
- Supervisors, Retail Sales
- 44% of available Portland area jobs are for Healthcare, Technology, and Sales workers
- Of all open healthcare positions, 44% of available Healthcare jobs are for Nurses
- Of all open technology positions, 39% of available Technology jobs are for Software Engineers
- Of all open sales positions, 38% of available Sales jobs are for Retail
Most Common Portland Jobs Include:
# employed: 20,140
Annual wage: $85,170
Truck Drivers, Heavy and Tractor-trailer
# employed: 11,450
Annual wage: $42,330
Software Developers, Applications
# employed: 9,750
Annual wage: $101,930
# employed: 35,980
Annual wage: $27,860
What are job seekers looking for?
Most viewed Portland jobs:
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing
- Software Developers and Programmers
- Customer Service Representatives
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
- Miscellaneous Engineers (e.g., Validation Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers, etc.)
Top Portland job searches:
- Part Time
- Customer Service
- Administrative Assistant
- Human Resources
Want to know more about the top trends in Portland hiring? Check out the Portland Market Overview from Monster Intelligence.
Data finding are based on analysis of all available online jobs reported by the TalentNeuron tool and Monster job seeking activity from more than 22 million unique visitors1.
1comScore Media Metrix, 1Q 2016, 3-month average, (includes all US Mobile + PC traffic)