This telecommunications technician sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Description: Telecommunications Technician
Telecommunications Technician Job Purpose: Establishes communications systems by installing, operating, and maintaining voice and data telecommunications network circuits and equipment.
Telecommunications Technician Job Duties:
- Plans network installations by studying customer orders, plans, manuals, and technical specifications; ordering and gathering equipment, supplies, materials, and tools, assessing installation site; preparing an installation diagram.
- Establishes voice and data networks by running, pulling, terminating, and splicing cables; installing telecommunications equipment, routers, switches, multiplexors, cable trays, and alarm and fire-suppression systems; building ironwork and ladder racks; establishing connections; programming features; establishing connections and integrations; following industry standards; activating remote access tools; coordinating with contractors.
- Verifies service by testing circuits, equipment, and alarms; identifying, correcting, or escalating problems.
- Documents network by labeling and routing equipment and cables; recording configuration diagrams and specifications.
- Maintains network by troubleshooting and repairing outages; testing network back-up procedures; updating documentation.
- Maintains customer rapport by listening to and resolving concerns; answering questions.
- Maintains safe work environment by following codes, standards, and legal regulations.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Skills/Qualifications: Telecommunications Systems Engineering, Telecommunications Knowledge, Telecommunications Technologies, Provisioning, Technical Understanding, Functional and Technical Skills, Independence, Attention to Detail, Verbal Communication, Documentation Skills, Audiovisual Maintenance
Learn more about the hiring process: