This public health nurse sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Description: Public Health Nurse
Public Health Nurse Job Purpose: Maintains the public's health by providing health services and information.
Public Health Nurse Job Duties:
- Serves patients by visiting homes; determining patient and family needs; developing health care plans; providing nursing services and treatments; referring patients with social and emotional problems to other community agencies.
- Helps the community health care team by coordinating assessment, planning, and providing of needed health and related services; participating in case conferences with physicians, hospital and rehabilitative personnel, and representative of other agencies.
- Provides health information by instructing family in care and rehabilitation of patient; maintaining health and prevention of disease for family members; teaching home nursing, maternal and child care; providing instructions in other subjects related to individual and community welfare.
- Safeguards health of children by participating in child health conferences, school health; providing group instruction for parents; conducting immunization programs.
- Arranges convalescent and rehabilitative care of sick or injured persons by cooperating with families, community agencies, and medical personnel.
- Improves quality results by studying, evaluating, and recommending changes in processes; implementing changes.
- Keeps vehicle and equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Documents actions by completing forms, reports, logs, and patient records.
- Avoids legal challenges by complying with legal requirements; keeping patient information confidential.
- Updates public health job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances public health department and city reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Skills/Qualifications: Verbal Communication, Health Promotion and Maintenance, Listening, Quality Management, Energy Level, Integrity, Infection Control, Informing Others, Nursing Skills, Medical Teamwork, Multi-tasking
Read more about how to hire: