This occupational therapist sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Description: Occupational Therapist
Occupational Therapist Job Purpose: Facilitates development and rehabilitation of patients with mental, emotional, and physical disabilities by planning and administering medically prescribed occupational therapy.
Occupational Therapist Job Duties:
- Meets the patient's goals and needs and provides quality care by assessing and interpreting evaluations and test results; determining occupational therapy treatment plans in consultation with physicians or by prescription.
- Helps patient develop or regain physical or mental functioning or adjust to disabilities by implementing programs involving manual arts and crafts, practice in functional, prevocational, vocational, and homemaking skills, activities of daily living, and sensorimotor, educational, recreational, and social activities; directing aides, technicians, and assistants.
- Promotes maximum independence by selecting and constructing therapies according to individual's physical capacity, intelligence level, and interest.
- Prepares patient for return to employment by consulting with employers; determining potential employee difficulties; retraining employees; helping employers understand necessary physical and job result accommodations.
- Evaluates results of occupational therapy by observing, noting, and evaluating patient's progress; recommending and implementing adjustments and modifications.
- Completes discharge planning by consulting with physicians, nurses, social workers, and other health care workers; contributing to patient care conferences.
- Assures continuation of therapeutic plan following discharge by designing and instructing patients, families, and caregivers in home exercise programs; recommending and/or providing assistive equipment; recommending outpatient or home health follow-up programs.
- Documents patient care services by charting in patient and department records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects hospital operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Develops occupational therapy staff by providing information; developing and conducting in-service training programs.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal and certification requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Skills/Qualifications: Health Promotion and Maintenance, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Motivating Others, Legal Compliance, Bedside Manner, Medical Teamwork, Mental Health, Pain Management, Listening, Analyzing Information , Quality Focus
Find out more about recruiting trends in the healthcare industry.
Learn more about how to write a job description: