This nurse manager sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Nurse Manager Job Responsibilities:
Promotes and restores patients' health by developing day-to-day management and long-term planning of the patient care area; directing and developing staff; collaborating with physicians and multidisciplinary professional staffs; providing physical and psychological support for patients, friends, and families.
Nurse Manager Job Duties:
- Identifies patient service requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual patients and other persons in a position to understand service requirements.
- Maintains nursing guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Maintains nursing operations by initiating, coordinating, and enforcing program, operational, and personnel policies and procedures.
- Assures quality of care by developing and interpreting hospital and nursing division's philosophies and standards of care; enforcing adherence to state board of nursing and state nurse practice act requirements and to other governing agency regulations; measuring health outcomes against standards; making or recommending adjustments.
- Maintains nursing staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training nurses and auxiliary staff.
- Completes patient care requirements by scheduling and assigning nursing and staff; following up on work results.
- Maintains nursing staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Establishes a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological, and spiritual support to patients, friends, and families.
- Promotes patient's independence by establishing patient care goals; teaching and counseling patient, friends, and family and reinforcing their understanding of disease, medications, and self-care skills.
- Provides information to patients and health care team by answering questions and requests.
- Resolves patient needs by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategies.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by designing and implementing procedures, rules, and regulations; calling for assistance from other health care professionals.
- Protects patients and employees by developing and interpreting infection-control policies and protocols; enforcing medication administration, storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by monitoring confidential information processing.
- Maintains documentation of patient care services by auditing patient and department records.
- Achieves financial objectives by preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Ensures operation of medical and administrative equipment by verifying emergency equipment availability; completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques..
- Maintains nursing supplies inventory by studying usage reports; identifying trends; anticipating needed supplies; approving requisitions and cost allocations.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Maintains a cooperative relationship among health care teams by communicating information; responding to requests; building rapport; participating in team problem-solving methods.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
Nurse Manager Skills and Qualifications:
Judgment, Supervision, Informing Others, Nursing Skills, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Hospital Environment, Medical Teamwork, Listening, Pain Management, Administering Medication, Adult Health
Employers: Post a job in minutes to reach candidates everywhere.
Job Seekers: Search Nurse Manager Jobs and apply on Monster now.
Find out more about recruiting trends in the healthcare industry.
Learn more about how to interview: