Sales representative job description sample
Sales representatives are the principal point of contact between a business and its customers. Sales reps ensure current customers have the right products and services, identify new markets and customer leads, and pitch prospective customers. In many ways the face of the company, sales representatives may do everything from answering phones to monitoring the competition, all while maintaining good customer relations and pursuing new sales opportunities.
This sales representative job description sample is the ideal template for a posting that will attract the best candidates to your company. For best results, retain the structure and organization of this outline, then edit and revise it to include job duties and requirements specific to your open position. And if you want more ideas on how to craft the perfect description, go and check out Monster’s sales representative job listings.
[Intro paragraph] The job postings that garner the most attention take the next two to three sentences to introduce their business to prospective sales representatives. Take this opportunity to set your company apart from competing listings and sell yourself to job seekers by highlighting the unique company culture, working environment, and anything else you bring to the table for new hires.
Sales Representative Job Responsibilities:
- Serves customers by selling products and meeting customer needs.
- Services existing accounts, obtains orders, and establishes new accounts by planning and organizing daily work schedule to call on existing or potential sales outlets and other trade factors.
- Adjusts content of sales presentations by studying the type of sales outlet or trade factor.
- Focuses sales efforts by studying existing and potential volume of dealers.
- Submits orders by referring to price lists and product literature.
- Keeps management informed by submitting activity and results reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans, and monthly and annual territory analyses.
- Monitors competition by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, products, new products, delivery schedules, and merchandising techniques.
- Recommends changes in products, service, and policy by evaluating results and competitive developments.
- Resolves customer complaints by investigating problems, developing solutions, preparing reports, and making recommendations to management.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Provides historical records by maintaining records on area and customer sales.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
[Work Hours & Benefits] This is an excellent spot to highlight your company’s work hours and benefits. Let potential applicants know about the opportunity for overtime or seasonal work. You should also list any benefits that set your firm apart, like commissions, commuting credits, paid vacation time, or family leave.
Sales Representative Qualifications/Skills:
- Customer service
- Meeting sales goals
- Closing skills
- Territory management
- Prospecting skills
- Product knowledge
- Presentation skills
- Client relationships
- Motivation for sales
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- BA/BS University degree with a concentration in marketing, promotions, advertising sales, or business administration preferred
- Three to five years of industry sales experience
- Familiarity with office software and phone systems
[Call to Action] Now that prospective sales reps are familiar with your company and the job requirements, you need a compelling call to action to turn them into applicants. Let them know who to contact at your company to apply, or how and where to submit an application, resume, and supporting documents.
Want help hiring your next sales representative?
Sales reps are often the first contact between potential customers and your business, so make sure your next hire is a great one.