Neonatal Nurse Job Description Sample
When you’re hiring a neonatal nurse, it’s essential to find someone with the necessary skills and experience to provide exceptional newborn care. In addition to their neonatal nursing expertise, they also need the interpersonal skills to collaborate with colleagues and comfort family members.
The key to making the right hire is to write a job description that attracts neonatal nurses with the training and skills, experience, and professional values you need. It can be helpful to look at Monster’s neonatal nurse job postings for insights on how other hospitals are hiring for the role.
If you’re short-staffed and your neonatal nursing team is taking on extra hours, you likely want to find a talented neonatal nurse practitioner as soon as possible. You can save time and make a thoughtful hire faster by customizing this neonatal nurse job description sample to meet your hiring needs.
[Intro Paragraph] Think of this section as an elevator pitch for the role and hospital that prompts skilled neonatal nurses to apply. Show why the hospital is a great place to work by describing its history, culture, mission, values, and accolades. Attract driven neonatal nurses by discussing professional development opportunities, such as training programs, mentorship programs, and career trajectories.
Neonatal Nurse Job Responsibilities: This is where you’ll share the day-to-day responsibilities so neonatal nurses can determine whether they have the necessary skills. For example, you may be looking for a neonatal nurse who:
- Attends high-risk deliveries.
- Cares for sick and premature newborns.
- Implements doctor-recommended treatment plans.
- Monitors newborns and records their symptoms and vitals.
- Comforts parents and answers questions about their baby’s health.
- Collaborates with nurses and doctors to provide quality patient care.
- Helps parents bathe, feed, diaper, and hold their newborn when possible.
- Uses medical equipment, including incubators, feeding tubes, and oxygen hoods.
- Follows neonatology guidelines, regulations, and standards.
- Adheres to hospital policies and procedures.
[Work Hours and Benefits] Specify whether you’re hiring a full-time or part-time neonatal nurse. Share the times your various shifts start and end. Note if the neonatal nurse would need to be on call and work weekends and holidays. Stand out from other hospitals by showcasing your competitive benefits package and financial incentives, such as performance bonuses and tuition and certification reimbursements.
Neonatal Nurse Qualifications and Skills: Use these sections of your neonatal nurse job description to note the necessary and preferred requirements so that qualified neonatal nurses apply. Depending on your needs, you may want to include the following:
- Works calmly and carefully in fast-paced and high-stress situations.
- Provides exceptional patient care and is detail-oriented and attentive.
- Communicates effectively, speaking multiple languages is preferred.
- Collaborates with nurses and doctors and has strong interpersonal skills.
- Problem-solves well independently and as part of a team.
- Develops strong relationships with parents and has a stellar bedside manner.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- An Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) or Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is required.
- A Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) or Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is strongly preferred.
- Must be a licensed registered nurse (RN) or neonatal nurse practitioner (NNP) in [state].
- At least [number] years of nursing experience is required.
[Call to Action] The most effective neonatal nurse job posts include an invitation to apply. Give candidates instructions for how to apply from the job board or the hospital’s website.
Put Your Neonatal Nurse Job Description to Work
After writing your job description, the next challenge is to reach qualified neonatal nurses. Take advantage of Monster’s global reach and search tools to quickly find nurses who will provide optimal care for newborns and comfort for their families. Get started with a free job posting.