Medical Technologist Job Description
This medical technologist sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Medical Technologist Job Responsibilities:
Provides information for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease by conducting medical laboratory tests, procedures, experiments, and analyses.
Medical Technologist Job Duties:
- Determines normal and abnormal components of body fluids by conducting chemical analyses of blood, urine, spinal fluids, and gastric juices.
- Analyzes blood cells by counting and identifying cells, using microscopic techniques and procedures.
- Prepares blood, plasma, and platelets for transfusions by conducting blood group, type, and compatibility tests.
- Ensures operation of analyzers, spectrophotometers, colorimeters, flame photometers, and other laboratory equipment by calibrating; completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Provides medical technology information by answering questions and requests.
- Prepares reports of technological findings by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Maintains inter- and intradepartmental work flow by fostering a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control and hazardous waste policies and protocols; following identification procedures.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects the hospital by keeping information confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Medical Technologist Skills and Qualifications:
Documentation Skills, Analyzing Information , Chemistry Techniques, Equipment Maintenance, FDA Health Regulations, Lab Environment, Clinical Lab Testing, Use of Medical Technologies, Organization, Attention to Detail, Informing Others
Learn more about how the hiring process: