Librarian job description sample
This librarian job description sample is an excellent template for a posting that will attract the most qualified candidates to your library. Simply use the general structure and organization of this outline and revise it to reflect the specific job requirements and duties of the position for which you’re hiring. For even more ideas for crafting the best listing, take a look at Monster’s library job listings.
[Intro Paragraph] For the most responses to your job listing, include a short paragraph introducing prospective librarians to your organization. Take two or three sentences to highlight your unique archiving culture and educational environment, set your library apart from the competition, and really sell yourself to the best applicants.
Librarian Job Responsibilities:
- Plans and supervises the operation of a large library.
- Supervises and participates in the selection, development, and maintenance of a collection of materials in one or more broad and complex subject area(s).
- Develops, plans, coordinates, and evaluates a major area of library services (i.e., children/young adult services).
- Serves as a specialist for reference and materials, or cataloging and classification, in a subject field(s) or special collection(s).
- Provides specialized reference services and materials to departmental/program personnel.
- Catalogs and classifies a wide range of materials.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
[Work Hours & Benefits] Now you’ll want to talk about working hours and benefits specific to your library. This is another chance to sell potential applicants on things like overtime or flexible workweek structures, and you can also emphasize any benefits that can set your repository apart, like tuition or childcare reimbursements, or paid family leave.
Librarian Qualifications / Skills:
- Library sciences
- Judgment in providing appropriate material and library services to diverse patrons/clientele
- Cataloging and classification
- Reference and materials selection
- Planning, coordinating, and evaluating library services in a major service/functional area
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university
- Master’s in Library Sciences preferred
- Three-plus years of progressively responsible professional experience in one or more major functional areas of librarianship
- Experience in selection, acquisition, cataloging and classification of materials, collection development and maintenance, reference and readers’ advisory services, or development and promotion of library services
[Call to Action] Now that potential applicants are familiar with your library and specific job requirements, a compelling call to action right here will encourage prospective librarians to apply. Let them know who to contact, and exactly how and where to submit an application and resume.
Ready to post a flawless librarian job description?
You don’t need the Dewey Decimal System to find your next librarian — just use Monster job ads. Our flexible monthly plans allow you to upgrade, scale down, or switch your postings and will help you find the perfect bookworm. Get started today and you’ll also get free access to Monster Studios, our easy-to-use app that lets you create video job descriptions!