Cyber security job description sample
This cyber security job description sample will assist you in creating a job application that will attract qualified candidates who are a fit for your position. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific duties and requirements. You can also browse our cyber security job listings for more ideas on how to fill out your description.
[Intro Paragraph] Beginning your job description by introducing prospective applicants to your company, corporate culture, and working environment is your chance to set your posting apart from the rest. Take two or three sentences to cater your recruiting pitch to the ideal candidate, letting them know what you have to offer new hires.
Cyber Security Job Responsibilities:
- Safeguards information system assets by identifying and solving potential and actual security problems.
- Protects system by defining access privileges, control structures, and resources.
- Recognizes problems by identifying abnormalities; reporting violations.
- Implements security improvements by assessing current situation; evaluating trends; anticipating requirements.
- Determines security violations and inefficiencies by conducting periodic audits.
- Upgrades system by implementing and maintaining security controls.
- Keeps users informed by preparing performance reports; communicating system status.
- Maintains quality service by following organization standards.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing publications.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
[Work Hours & Benefits] Discuss the working hours and benefits specific to your company here. The best performing cyber security job descriptions inform future specialists about flexible hours, the ability to work from home, or other telecommuting opportunities. And they highlight unique benefits, like conference sponsorships, continuing education credits, or paid time off.
Cyber Security Qualifications / Skills:
- System administration
- Network security
- Problem solving
- Information security policies
- On-call network troubleshooting
- Firewall administration
- Network protocols
- Routers, hubs, and switches
- Informing others
- Process improvement
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent education or work experience
- 4+ years of prior relevant experience
- Advanced certifications such as SANS GIAC/GCIA/GCIH, CISSP or CASP and/or SIEM-specific training and certification
- Hold DoD-8570 IAT Level 2 baseline certification (Security+ CE or equivalent) at start date
- Advanced understanding of TCP/IP, common networking ports and protocols, traffic flow, system administration, OSI model, defense-in-depth and common security elements.
- Hands-on experience analyzing high volumes of logs, network data (e.g. Netflow, FPC), and other attack artifacts in support of incident investigations
- Experience with vulnerability scanning solutions
- Familiarity with the DOD Information Assurance Vulnerability Management program.
- Proficiency with any of the following: Anti-Virus, HIPS, ID/PS, Full Packet Capture, Host-Based Forensics, Network Forensics, and RSA Security
- In-depth knowledge of architecture, engineering, and operations of at least one enterprise SIEM platform (e.g. Nitro/McAfee Enterprise Security Manager, ArcSight, QRadar, LogLogic, Splunk)
- Experience developing and deploying signatures (e.g. YARA, Snort, Suricata, HIPS)
- Understanding of mobile technology and OS (i.e. Android, iOS, Windows), VMware technology, and Unix and basic Unix commands
[Call to Action] You’ve got a cyber security candidate’s interest. Now you need to let them know how to apply and encourage them to do so. This is where you include a compelling call to action, advising job seekers to apply through the job listing or to contact your HR department directly, along with any other application requirements.
Ready to post your cyber security job description?
Posting a job description and waiting for a response is a great first step. But Monster job ads can put you in the lead in the race to find the best cyber security specialists. Our range of monthly plans that can be customized for any size company or job search, and you’ll get access Monster Studios, which lets you create video job descriptions, at no additional charge.Get started right now!