System administrator job description sample
This sample job description for a system administrator can help you create a posting that will attract the best qualified candidates. By building on the structure and organization of this description, and customizing it with your specific job duties and requirements, you’ll turn those candidates into applicants. You can also browse our system administrator job listings for more ideas on how to fill out your description.
[Intro Paragraph] Beginning your web system admin job description with an introductory paragraph that tells the prospective applicant a little bit about your company and the working environment is your chance to set your company apart from the rest. Take 2-3 sentences to cater your recruiting pitch to the ideal candidate and lure the best of the best.
System Administrator Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains web environment by identifying system requirements, installing upgrades, and monitoring system performance.
- Establishes web system specifications by analyzing access, information, and security requirements; and designing system infrastructure.
- Establishes web system by planning and executing the selection, installation, and configuration; testing of server hardware, software, and operating and system management systems; and defining system and operational policies and procedures.
- Maintains web system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting system hardware, software, and operating and system management systems; designing and running system load/stress testing; and escalating application problems to vendor.
- Secures web system by developing system access, monitoring, control, and evaluation; establishing and testing disaster recovery policies and procedures; completing back-ups; and maintaining documentation.
- Upgrades web system by conferring with vendors and services; and developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements and new software.
- Meets financial requirements by submitting information for budgets and monitoring expenses.
- Updates job knowledge by tracking emerging Internet technologies; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; and participating in professional organizations.
- Accomplishes organizational goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
[Work Hours & Benefits] Discuss the working hours and benefits specific to your company here. This is your chance to tell prospective system administrators about flexible hours, the ability to work from home, or other telecommuting opportunities. And focus on the benefits that set you apart, like conference sponsorships or continuing education or tuition credits.
System Administrator Qualifications/Skills:
- General Programming Skills
- System Administration
- Technical Understanding and Management
- Telecommunications and Internet Technologies
- Dependability, Verbal Communication, and Ability to Handle Pressure and Learn on the Fly
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, or engineering.
- Minimum of five years of experience in IT or database administration.
- Experience with Java GUI front-end development, SQL, Postgres, or equivalent database tools.
- Experience with Agile software development using JIRA.
- Experience with Zeek (formerly Bro).
- Experience in: Multiple OS platforms with strong emphasis on Linux (CentOS, Red Hat, Ubuntu), Mac OS X, and Windows systems.
- Experience with OS-level scripting environment, such as Bourne shell.
- Experience working in a research environment that relies extensively on Open Source solutions.
- In-depth knowledge of the TCP / IP protocol suite; security architecture; securing and hardening Operating Systems; Networks; Databases; and Applications.
- Knowledge of the Incident Response life-cycle, working independently to investigate and effectively respond to cyber security incidents.
- Thorough understanding of the threat and attack landscape, attack vectors, vulnerabilities, and how they are leveraged by malicious actors.
- Security certifications, Database Administrator certifications.
- Familiarity with astronomy and physics applications in computing.
[Call to Action] Now that you’ve got a candidate’s interest, you need to let them know how to apply and encourage them to do so. So here you should have your call to action. Advise prospective system admins to apply through the job listing or to contact your HR department directly.
Ready to post your job description?
Posting a great job description and waiting for a response is a perfect start. But did you know Monster job ads can put you in the driver’s seat when it comes to finding the right system administrator? Our range of monthly plans can be customized for any size company or job search, and you can even access Monster Studios, which lets you create video job descriptions. Email distribution to our million-candidate list is also included. Get started right here!